Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am after some help in getting some very fine thread or wire to re-thread the crosshairs on my Unertl 1.25 inch target scope (faux 1903A1 USMC sniper rig). Technically, it is easy - the brass tube with the crosshairs has 4 mounting screws and the thread is looped around them and the screws tightened to secure and tighten the thread. I have used the finest copper wire I can get (from a set of ipod-style earphones) and it is too think. Human hair is a bit thick and tends to snap, though I might try it wet - I need a strand about 6 inches to allow for breaking bits and being clumsy. At present I am using an artificial "hair from a wig my daughter wore in her high school musical. It was purple but I stained the thread with a black felt pen. It is still a little thicker than I would like. Has anyone got single strand silk from unravelling a cocoon? A spool of spider silk? Or anything else very fine that has worked? I would be grateful and of course happy to pay for the material - please reply here or PM me.
Rob

· Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wheaty,
you are a true gentleman - I will PM you my address and buy a couple of feet of your thinnest and next-thinnest gauge wire. The Unertl makes re-wiring simple enogh for me to attempt: the 4 attachment points are all tiny brass screws with flat heads. The wire is looped in an "S" pattern around the shaft of the screws, which are then gently tightened down onto the wire - and a spot of laquer on each screw prevents anything coming loose.
Rob

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.