Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I am after some help in getting some very fine thread or wire to re-thread the crosshairs on my Unertl 1.25 inch target scope (faux 1903A1 USMC sniper rig). Technically, it is easy - the brass tube with the crosshairs has 4 mounting screws and the thread is looped around them and the screws tightened to secure and tighten the thread. I have used the finest copper wire I can get (from a set of ipod-style earphones) and it is too think. Human hair is a bit thick and tends to snap, though I might try it wet - I need a strand about 6 inches to allow for breaking bits and being clumsy. At present I am using an artificial "hair from a wig my daughter wore in her high school musical. It was purple but I stained the thread with a black felt pen. It is still a little thicker than I would like. Has anyone got single strand silk from unravelling a cocoon? A spool of spider silk? Or anything else very fine that has worked? I would be grateful and of course happy to pay for the material - please reply here or PM me.
Rob

·
Gold Bullet member
2,622 Posts
Out of curiosity I once took apart my Unertl, while doing so I blew the crosshairs, something I only relized once i put the scope together; i was in you same situation and considered an easy matter the reinstalation of the wires, at first tried very fine copper wires and other materials and all were very thick when multiplied by 20, which is the power of my scope-I got in contact with guys in the US that repair scopes and unwillingly they sold me a spool of the correct wire, many yards-To cut a long story short, the wire is impossible to manage, you cant even see it, I ended sending the scope to the repair shop
who, using the my wire did the job-Good luck

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,097 Posts
Black widow web was used in one of the bomb sights in WWII. Norden , I think.

Trick is to survive the harvest.
You are correct!! Here's one from my backyard:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I belive that you can also use spider web strand, from some species of spiders.
One that I know of is the Golden Orb spider.
That thing makes rather huge webs in the garden and the strands are pretty strong.

Alternatively, get a piece of fine silk and pull it apart to get a single strand of silk and see how you go with that.

Personally, I'd just send it to some to get it fixed and save my self the aggro,

·
Gold Bullet member
2,622 Posts
If you insist in getting the thing done by yourself I remember that a good optician told me that the thread the eye doctors use to sew the cornea of the eye is thin enough to be used as crosshair; again handling the thing, obtaining ,the proper tension and fixing it to the carrier ring in the Unertl is IMO reservedd to the technicians

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Cross hairs

Years ago, I bought a book on the repair of telescopic sights. However, I just moved, and everything is packed away in boxes, so I would not have a clue where to find it right now.

The author recommended a fine wire that was specially made for scope use, and also gave a dealer's address.

For a simple cross hair, you buy a large washer, one that is larger than the carrier that the scope uses. You then mark out four marks at 90 degrees to each other, and cement the wire to the washer. You then center the washer with the cross hairs over the scope cross hair carrier, and cement the cross hairs to the scope carrier. Then trim.

This is a simplified version. Personally, I would take a look in some of the Gun Magazines such as "Rifle", where there should be advertisements for scope repairs.

Also, if the scope you are using is Nitrogen filled to prevent fogging, you will have to refill it. You can leave the end eye piece off, put the scope in a long, narrow, cardboard box, and then fill the box with Nitrogen gas.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wheaty,
you are a true gentleman - I will PM you my address and buy a couple of feet of your thinnest and next-thinnest gauge wire. The Unertl makes re-wiring simple enogh for me to attempt: the 4 attachment points are all tiny brass screws with flat heads. The wire is looped in an "S" pattern around the shaft of the screws, which are then gently tightened down onto the wire - and a spot of laquer on each screw prevents anything coming loose.
Rob

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.