Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I would first do a detailed cleaning of the rifle. You have to determine the exact builder and model of the Pattern 14. Not all Pattern 14 bolts fit other Pattern 14 manufacturers and even within manufacturers. For example I believe your rifle is probably a Eddystone built rifle judging from the stock. A bolt from an early Pattern 14 MKI will fit a later Pattern 14 MKI* but a later Pattern 14 MKI* bolt will not fit an early Pattern 14 MKI due to the larger locking lugs on the Pattern 14 MKI* bolt. The one bright side is all of crud on the rifle probably protected the finish and bore. Good luck on your find.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Back in the "old" days, Sperm Whale oil was very popular to use on firearms to lubricate and protect them. Sperm whale oil would collect dirt and dust and congealed on the firearm making it look like it look like a sewer pipe. I found this out when i purchase several "rusted" Winchester 1892 .44-40 rifles at a third of their value after I cleaned them up and they were brand new! The harden sperm whale oil acted as a preservative to the rifles. So if you see an old firearm that looks like a smelly fish, sewer pipe. That is what is covering it. It will look a lot better after you clean it up.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts