Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,987 Posts
No telling from where the rifle came if pre-1968, but Spain is a good bet from what you describe.. without images things can only be guessed at, but good signs of Spanish background is "painted black over metal", or "MP8 in bomb" marking in the stock, usually they are sanded and quite light in color.. usually total m/m, and a little rough but not as bad as Turks. Also they come in funky alterations, Mannlicher in appearance, shorties (cutdowns) poorly done, but often they are fairly normal.

As to the S42G rearsight, that was not done by Mauser, only the part was made by them. We have had this discussion before and there is no evidence or even reason to believe Mauser had anything to do with this process (actually it makes no sense that they would do such low profitability work)

As to rifles that are most prevalent seen Turked, that is not DWM, but rather their poor sister company Mauser who had a long relationship pre-war with the Turks. Starting in 1916 you see increasingly fewer and fewer Mauser products that are "German" utilized.
1916 its starts where about half & half are Turks and by 1917 its 90%, and 1918 near 100%, though you do see Weimar jobs of 1918 Mauser vintage occasionally.

Oh, mismatched is not German ordnance sop, field levels and depots you find a few small m/m parts, but primary parts would have been re-numbered (at least abbreviated).

Re Spain during the war, and post war, they did contemplated entry and sought German assistance (which Hitler vacillated over but every time arms and aid was discussed it changed his little mind), Spain was dramatically unprepared for war- completely- and small arms was just one of their short comings, post war they were the blacksheep of Europe for a time, over their poor behavior during the war and unlike Turkey who was quite practical this time around and got aid postwar (their Army was on a war footing long after the war ended, one of the last, and got US military arms..) Spain probably had to make due with what little they scrounged from the Germans (which in the scheme of things isn't much..) I am sure they salvaged parts & salvaged the junk too!

Anyway, Spain had a rough time of it right alter the war, and though they wrangled aid during the war from the "United Nations" (for behaving) the US especially was anti-Spain as the war progressed (The Brits always with an eye to the future more "understanding"..)

· Registered
2,987 Posts
Same here.. I study them more than collect these days... your comments were quite good really.

Thanks for the extra info Paul. I knew someone with some real knowledge would chime in! ;)

I have a real passion for imperial arms, especially Russian and German rifles of WWI, I just don't have the funds to own as many as I'd like!

T

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.