Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend at East Texas' nationally-famous Canton Trades Day I saw a seller who had 2 very similliar Gewehr 98's, and I bought one. ( I own 2 RC K98k's, but this is my first G98 and I don't know much about them. ) It has all correct German markings, and nothing else, though only the barrel/reciever match, like on RC K98k's. ( There are NO additional numbers or markings like the Russians normally use. ) They both looked as though they had been refinished at some point, but only the bayonet lug's "in the white" and still bright; the rest ( including the reciever and bolt body ) have been lightly blued. Markings on the reciever are, top: crown/Spandau/1916; left: eagle proof/3100/V and Gew.98. The sight has been changed post-war at Oberndorf, indicated by the "S/42G" below the new K98k-type sight.

The oddest feature is that the stock still has the ID disc in the butt ( no regimental markings on it, though ) and NOT the takedown "eye"; but also has the finger grooves. Is that common for a transitional model? Bolt, barrel length, and furniture remain unaltered from standard G98's; though a fixed sling ring has been installed in the lower swivel mount on the bottom of the butt. Stock markings are all weak, but there; save a strong "3" on the comb near the buttplate screw. There seems to be a newer 1/2" round mark ( circlet ) of some kind superimposed over a couple of the 3 cartouches on the right flat of the butt, but any letters in it are so faint as to be illegible. The only real difference I noticed between the 2 of these he had was that the other, dated 1918, had both the finger grooves and takedown eye of later models; I went for the earlier date.

Both G98's this man had supposedly belonged to his father-in-law, who was said to have purchased them in the 60's or early 70's. Neither have import markings anywhere. ( And I forget when that became mandatory; anyone remember? ) According to Wikipedia, large numbers of these were imported from Spain around then. I suppose my main question is whether or not the condition I've described is consistant with the possibility that this is one of them. I'm mainly curious as when and why the parts were mixed - did the Spanish do that to their service rifles; or is another source more likely? Would Mauserwerke-Oberndorf have done anything like that when they changed sights?

ANY ideas and/or information would be most welcome! I have also posted this request over on the surplusrifle forum; but so far, no responses. I hope someone here knows more!

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Alamo!

That gives me some ideas; unfortunately, I have NO digital camera with which to post pictures, or I would've done so. As I said, this has apparantly no surcharge stamps like I've seen on Turkish or other foriegn-use post-WWI G98's. My main question is when and where it would've most likely been rebuilt from parts a'la the current abundant crop of RC K98k's? I didn't know if the Germans would've done anything like that when changing out the sights; or if the Spanish - if it WAS in Spain - would've bothered once their Civil War was over.

· Registered
970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Now knowing what to look for, I'm pretty sure the faint circular mark in the stock is in fact the flaming bomb; it's stamped atop 2 of the German cartuoches, which themselves are illegible. ( What I'm pretty sure is a beechwood stock has apparantly been lightly sanded making the cartouches mostly dark blurs. ) I can definitely see the "M" in it, though that's the only one that really shows. There's NO black paint, fortunately, only a fairly thin and sloppy bluing job over the parts originally "in the white". With no import date, I feel confident it's one of the pre-1968 Spanish imports Wikipedia referred to. At least all the parts are German, and ( save for the loop added to the lower sling swivel ) conforms in appearance to the Weimar-modified G98's; which this was presumeably built from. It looks good on the wall along with the 2 RC K98k's; I'm looking forward to seeing how it performs compared to them, too.

Thanks again for the useful information!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.