Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Gold Bullet member
1,540 Posts
James,

From your description, it sounds like you have a Gewehr that survived the war (WWI) and was refurbished in Germany during the 20's/30's. From what I've seen, the rear sight is the major modification on these along with some blueing to parts that were previously in the white.

The German stocks did have some modifications in 1916. The Stock disc was removed and the inlets were introduced. Some stocks "straddle" the changes and have both characteristics. The other 1918 Gewehr you saw had the correct type stock with the bolt take down disc. That rifle was very likely "turked" as well. Many 1918 Gewehrs (esp. DWM made) were lent to Turkey late in the war.

I don't know much about a Spanish connection. Your description doesn't seem to indicate anything that would point to time in Spain.

IIRC, import stamps were not required prior to 1968. So this could have been brought in prior to that time or even a bring back from WWII.

Post some pics - that will definitely help us "ID" the rifle.

T

· Gold Bullet member
1,540 Posts
Thanks for the extra info Paul. I knew someone with some real knowledge would chime in! ;)

I have a real passion for imperial arms, especially Russian and German rifles of WWI, I just don't have the funds to own as many as I'd like!

T

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.