Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. This is my first post here, and it's a bit of a doozy. A gentleman recently offered to sell me his Mauser for $150. Now, it has what appears to be a nickel plated barrel and action (I know....) and a non-original and unfinished wood stock, hence the price. I thought this was a steal, since at the very least, I would be getting a beautifully shooting rifle. I'm having a very difficult time identifying this rifle though, as it doesn't appear to have stamping in any of the usual places indicating it's origin. It's possible all of this was covered up during the plating process. The only identifying marks are on the bolt and top of the action (number 9371) and on what appears to be the bottom of the barrel (1846 dd?) I am fairly familiar with Mauser pattern rifles but have never seen anything with these marks. Furthermore, the 9371 marks are suspicious, as whoever stamped it ran out of room on the bolt and had to stamp the 1 beneath the rest of the numbers. I just have no idea what to make of this one, so if anyone has any suggestions, please drop them below. Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
9,440 Posts
Your Mauser is a late war product (step on forward part of receiver) serial 1846 dd.
The rest of the rifle has been scrubbed clean.
The bolt numbers ( top of bolt root and safety catch are normal...towards the end of the war, numbers were stamped by hand, and so appear uneven.
Are there any marks or numbers on the under surface of receiver or barrell?
Bolt is probably MisMatched.

Doc AV

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
+1 to Doc and well said..... That sporter stock looks unfinished and need a buttplate and grip cap fitted and may need work on the interior..... Looks like the trigger guard was slimmed out as well nice basis for a sporter....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
+1 to Doc and well said..... That sporter stock looks unfinished and need a buttplate and grip cap fitted and may need work on the interior..... Looks like the trigger guard was slimmed out as well nice basis for a sporter....
Thank you for the quick reply! The stock definitely needs work, and from what I've been told needs a little bit of fitting. No biggie. I've done lots of stock work. Thanks for the info!

Your Mauser is a late war product (step on forward part of receiver) serial 1846 dd.
The rest of the rifle has been scrubbed clean.
The bolt numbers ( top of bolt root and safety catch are normal...towards the end of the war, numbers were stamped by hand, and so appear uneven.
Are there any marks or numbers on the under surface of receiver or barrell?
Bolt is probably MisMatched.

Doc AV
Thanks so much! That helped me a ton. As far as nationality, it appears to be late war German? There are no other identifying marks to my knowledge.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Barrel only s/n's started on 1944 K98k's. The only maker I can recall a using 4 digit double letter suffix (with the same letter repeated) at that time was Brünn II factory in Slovakia (dou marked receiver). "dd" suffix would be fairly late 1944 production on dou rifles. That would assume the barrel is original to the receiver, which can't be confirmed for certain. The people who know the specific factory number font styles better may be able to confirm, or rule that out. The bolt would be from a different rifle of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts