Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got this Mauser, picked it up for under 200$, at a gun show, I know its very sporterized but just wondering if anyone can give me more info on it, I will have more pictures soon but this is what i have now...also the top of the reciver has SPANDAU 1917, the side is engraved L 920, and has 7.94, also 1695 and GEW 98...It shoots 8mm Mauser, any help with it would be greatly appriciated!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
212 Posts
What you have appears to be a Gewehr 98M. It is considered a 98M because of the updated rear sight. In the mid 1930's many Gew 98 rifles were re-worked and had the original Lange rear sight replaced with a K98 style rear sight by the Nazis. It may have an S/42G or S/42k or various other makers marks on the rear sight base. The 1920 mark on the reciever signifies that the rifle was excepted for use by the Weimar Republic in post WW1 Germany. Also, Spandau did not make many complete Gew 98s in 1917. Most of the recievers were contracted from belgium, and the rifles were assembled at depot level or at the Mauser Oberndorf factory.

Here is an older thread about the 1917 Spandaus. There were pictures attached until Gunboards was rebuilt not long ago. I will see if I can repost some of them.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?146715-Gew98-reciever-marking.

Congrats on your first Mauser!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
As MILSURPKID indicated, you have a lot of history here. Many military rifles were "sporterized" in the 1960's and these have provided an introduction to Mausers for many shooters (who often then became collectors) over the years. While collectors generally consider sporterizing to have been a worse sin than painting antique oak funiture, the practice of using Mauser actions as the basis for hunting rifles started early (John Rigby-1899) and continues through the present- (David Miller Company) and kept the action system intact- better than being scrapped and melted down for the steel. Now you need one fresh from the trenches.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you! That is very helpful starting to figure out the wide world of Mauser's...I hope to find and original one sometime soon, I'm thinking this might be my new Hog hunting gun!....I appreciate both of your post and information I knew very little about the gun but just couldn't pass it up after walking past it at a gun show about 4 times..Thank you both again!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Vaarock i will start to keep my eyes out for a stock

atob37 yes as far as i know and can tell from pictures the front sight is still intact, i will get some more pictures up tomorrow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.