Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago I purchased a front site tool from a reputable member here perhaps to us e one day but I primarily wanted to just add to my Mosin accessories. Fast forward to today and I need to adjust the front site on my M38 which I've never shot or taken the cosmoline off:). I bore sited and used a bore laser. It needs to be drifted from left to right. For whatever reason this tool WILL NOT fit over the site base that wraps around the barrel. It goes right over the barrel but the ID is to small to slide past the site. It also appears to my eyes that the adjust piece you turn will not match up where the site needs to be pushed to move it. If I'm doing something wrong please let me know. The tool is dated 1941 so I figured surely this works on an M38. I really don't want to drive this over with a punch and that's the whole purpose of having the tool. Thank you for any assistance.
Richard

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it won’t fit any of my M44’s either. They also have the ‘band’ that goes around the barrel. I’d have to dig out an M91/30 from the safe but it easily fits an M91 so I’m sure it’ll go over the 91/30’s. It is the micrometer type BTW. I always thought the point of the micrometer needle should match at the site base dovetail to allow ease of moving the site, but the tip of the needle is higher than that and actually aligns about 1/4 the way up the globe. I’d be afraid to apply pressure there fearing bending the globe. Thanks for your response’s.
Richard

·
Gold Bullet Member
9,192 Posts
Ol' relic. Thanks. I was unaware of that. Got pics?

BTW, I bought the micrometer style one from the Ukraine before the war broke out.
Don't really have pics, but the differences are that the 91/30 has no ring for the sight base, the m38 and earlier M44s have a ring with a narrower base , and the '45 and later M44s (and the T53) have a ring and wider base. All of which causes the need for 3 different tools.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Got a drill press? It can be a floor model or even a table top. Adjust the table close to the the chuck but leave space for the vise.

Put the barrel in the vise (use two blocks of wood with a "V" groove cut into them to hold the barrel). You may also want to carve out a spot for the sight for the sight to move. Clamp the vise down so it won't move (especially with that rifled action).

Now, get a piece of brass and put it in the chuck. Lower the chuck so you can press down on the sight to move it. I've done the same on a milling machine where a piece of brass was placed into the quill. You get the idea.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for this input guys. I learned something new (again) about Mosins'. Now I'll need more 'tools' for the collection!

Gary you must have a lot of time on your hands. 😂 Me too! I can only wish I had a small shop at home to tinker around in.
Richard

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm retired and trained at Trinidad State. Besides 98.6, it's the only degree I acknowledge.

When you cut that V block and afterward notch it for the front sight, you want to make sure the barrel is supported (by the notch). You don't want to push down on the sight and bend the barrel. That's why you cut the wood to fit the area around the sight post. I'd also get one of those huge drill bits set and insert a drill as a stiffener. Make sure it's snug so it provides internal support.

Or if you just make two simple V blocks, you can stick in a piece of hardwood right beneath the barrel where the front sight post is. It must reach from the bottom of the vise (or drillpress table) to the barrel/front sight area. There must be clearance for the sight to be moved down slightly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts