Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was fortunate to receive these 3 medals for my b-day. The first I beleive to be the WWI U.S. victory medal.

The second I think is some type of Chinese medal, but dont have a clue what for.

Last, am wondering what this SS item is. It looks like something that would hang around the neck.

Any color on any of these would be greatly appreciated. You should be able to double click on the pics, once opened, for a better zoom.

Thanks in advance,

Cbanker

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm no expert, by any means, but the second one actually looks Vietnamese or maybe southern Indo-Chineese? Doesn't look to be Korean or Chineese, but as I said, I'm not an expert. Anyone know if the Viet Cong was around in 54?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks on that info. Anyone know what in specific that medal was for? I can post better pics of the words if nessesary.

On that German one, I have it narrowed down to either a warrant disk or an SS ID tag. I'm leaning toward the latter. If so, I've read that they used these to mark weapons and ammo. Perhaps an early form of RFID inventory tracking?

·
Banned
10,256 Posts
Yep, the German item is fake - well, actually a pure fantasy item as said before, as nothing like these existed in reality. I can remember seeing these for sale along side Japanese pot-metal replica firearms in the 1970's - might even have an advert here somewhere for same.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
cbanker101

Interesting medals. I have a World War I victory medal just like yours except it has three campaign tabs on it. All three in the pics were given to my Grandmother by a World War I vet who was a long time pin pal of hers. He mailed them to her shortly before he died because he didn't have any family to give them to. Eventually she gave them to me but I was to young and dumb and thus never asked her his name. Something I regret to this day. The German Iron Cross is a bit unusual. Might not be a good story as to how he ended up with it, will never know though.

·
Silver Bullet member
856 Posts
Are people sure about the asian medal?
The vietnamese romanized thier language charecters early say the 19th century? Or I should say the french romanize it for them...., the script looks chinese........

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.