Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend purchased these from a well-known vendor as being original late war safeties. Any opinions? I cut down the size of the photographs (perhaps to much).
Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
330 Posts
These are early safeties. The late war safeties had a little lever on them that you turned instead of pushing. They made the change because the close proximity of the safety to the push button mag release. The army found that during the heat of battle, GIs were mistakenly pushing the mag release instead of the safefty and inadvertantly dropping the magazine out of their weapon....not a goodnthing! The change to a flip safety helped with that problem. As a side note, M1 Carbine parts are the most faked parts of any US made weapon.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Respectfully, these seem to be 'type 2' safeties with no checking, which were made through a lot of 1943 and used...who knows really how long. A lot of parts were 'use up old stock' to meet production. It depends on what is meant by "late war" in my opinion, in order to define if these are 'late' or not. But I believe that 'early war' safeties would have checking.

·
Registered
326 Posts
First, Winchester was using push safeties (marked with "EW") into early 1945.
Second, those look like reproductions; hard to tell without a side shot of the milled areas. The raised part, which goes toward the front to engage the plunger, looks too sharp in the first picture.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.