Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I saw a war time Long Branch for sale today but I didn't inspect it too closely cause of the price. I intend to go back tomorrow to check it out but I'd like to know what items should be serialized on an original, war time produced rifle. This rifle has pot metal butt plate, flip rear sight and grooved hand guard. No scratches, dents or dings observed (even butt plate is unblemmished) Should wartime rifles be blued or parkerized and if parkerized, what color should it be? Lastly, If this rifle were minty, original configuration, original finish what might the high end value be? Thank you for your thoughts.

One further question please. Were early style cocking pieces used on Long Branch rifles? I'm refering to the button type cocking piece vs the later flat style used on No 4 rifles.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Here are some Longbranch rifles, in their original configuration.
Wartime rifles were blued, 1950s production and FTR rifles are Parkerized.
You can see the button cocking piece on the 1942 "3L" series.
This is the 1942, 3L---

The Mk1 sight on the 1942 is quite hard to come by----most of the wartime LB production has the two-position flip sight like this 1943, 23L---

There are also three varieties of LB marked stamped/welded backsights, like this other 1943 carries. This rifle also has the stamped triggerguard---

The bluing on these rifles is almost black---in the photos, it's pulled into the grey by the lighting I used for the indoor shots. My camera does color correction, but I haven't read that part of the manual, yet.

As to price, I paid less than $400US for the nearly perfect 1942 pictured above, in April 2006. A 1941 LB could bring much more.
It's all dependant on your mood and the money in your pocket at the time, though, isn't it?
Good hunting.
-----krinko

·
Gold Bullet member
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long Branch Questions

Many thanks for the reply Krinko. That 42 Long Branch with the early style cocking piece is a REAAL beauty! It is nicer than the 1942 I inquired about. I went back today to take a closer look. It does have some dings in the stock and finish does show some light wear. Magazine has also been restamped to match. Rifle comes with 42 dated sling and has NZ serial number stamped into receiver socket over the LB number. Bore looks pristine but seller has rifle marked at $525. That is no misprint. He was willing to negotiate but I didn't want to offend him by by offering what I thought it was worth. (to me) I figured maybe $300. He's a regular at our gun shows so I'll keep any eye out for him next show. Thanks again.

·
Copper Bullet member
696 Posts
Here are some Longbranch rifles, in their original configuration.
Wartime rifles were blued, 1950s production and FTR rifles are Parkerized.

I have a 1950's Longbranch in the blue. They changed to parkerizing somewhere after 93L4100.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts