Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow collectors I was hoping someone could help me with a value on this late war army officers sword. The blade I believe is machine made as it has a 3 digit number stamped on the tang on one side, but has kanji writing on the other side. The mounts are in pretty nice shape, but the blade looks like someone scrubbed the last 12 inches near the tip with steel wool. I would like your opinion on a fair value as I'm in negotiations with the owner for purchase. Also can someone let me know the translation of the kanji? I appreciate any info or opinions.
Thanks, Tom

·
Gold Bullet member
6,156 Posts
NICE Type 3 shingunto !!
The signature is 一龍子 (ichiryushi) and is another name for the famous smith Nagamitsu. Very nice high quality scabbard too. Value is at least $2,000 if metal was not scrubbed. Unfortunate about the scrubbing on the tip area but it can be polished by a professional.
This is no machine forged sword, 100% hand made.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,337 Posts
Very desirable blade. I agree with all. Value with scrubbed blade is still $1200-$1400.

·
Copper Bullet member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Edokko and Brad,
Thank you very much for the information. I really appreciate the translation Edokko. You guys have helped me out alot.
Tom

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
I have a question. I know the answer, but have to ask anyway. Why would you sharpen a razor sharp blade? :confused: Have seen this many times. I bought four tantos from the same epay seller. All four came from the same vet. All four were sharpened on the same stone!:(

1 - 5 of 5 Posts