Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this old revolver, severely rusted and damaged. I can read the serial number which I had cleared through law enforcement. Not stolen or used in a crime. BUT - I cannot determine the manufacturer or age. Can anyone give me a lead on this. The grips are great, probably the lower receiver is also.

Many thanks

Kiowa

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,730 Posts
Looks like an Italian-built, brass-framed .44 Cal "Navy" (essentially a fantasy gun, not a replica of anything actually produced historically). Date could be pretty well anytime from the 1960s. Any of several potential makers - will be marked for the importer, probably (Navy Arms a distinct possibility) - including Armi San Marco, Pietta and uberti.

·
Gold bullet with Oak Clusters member
15,894 Posts
Looks like one of the cylinders blew and they threw it away.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,189 Posts
Wander over to the 1858Remington.com website & set up an account. There is a wealth of BP pistol stuff there & not just Remingtons; there is a fun & helpful Colt Forum:

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?board=33.0.

One of the guys there (Captainkirk, I think) delights in getting ahold of abused & damaged junk, then spending more than it will ever be worth to restore it to shooting condition.

First thing would be to identify the maker, and a manufactur3e date. Take a look around for a 2 letter code or for any Roman Numerals. That will be tie Italian Proofhouse proof date, which closely corresponds with the manufacture year. My datecode table here will get you started:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?289681-Wedge

Next, the Manufacturer. Look for an elongated Diamond, enclosing the initials FAP, or simply the stamped name F.LLI Pietta for the Pietta factory, who still make cap & ball revolvers today. OR Look for a cross section barrel design With initial U inside, For Uberti, whose importers in the past were Navy Arms, Replica Arms , and today Cimmaron & Taylors. Not sure if Uberti ever manufactured brass frames, though.

ASM (Armi San Marcos), Santa Barbara, were also common & more low-end a few decades ago & parts to fit would be more challenging ($$) to find. Traditions, made by Pietta, are often brass.

If Pietta, or even maybe Uberti, replacement cylinders for their current production model .44's can be found at Cabelas, Midway & many other retailers & sutlers. Prices are under $60 & are specific for fit to the manufacturer & also age of the gun.

Let me know what other stamps & marks you find on it & where they're located.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Wander over to the 1858Remington.com website & set up an account. There is a wealth of BP pistol stuff there & not just Remingtons; there is a fun & helpful Colt Forum:

http://1858remington.com/discuss/index.php?board=33.0.

One of the guys there (Captainkirk, I think) delights in getting ahold of abused & damaged junk, then spending more than it will ever be worth to restore it to shooting condition.

First thing would be to identify the maker, and a manufactur3e date. Take a look around for a 2 letter code or for any Roman Numerals. That will be tie Italian Proofhouse proof date, which closely corresponds with the manufacture year. My datecode table here will get you started:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?289681-Wedge

Next, the Manufacturer. Look for an elongated Diamond, enclosing the initials FAP, or simply the stamped name F.LLI Pietta for the Pietta factory, who still make cap & ball revolvers today. OR Look for a cross section barrel design With initial U inside, For Uberti, whose importers in the past were Navy Arms, Replica Arms , and today Cimmaron & Taylors. Not sure if Uberti ever manufactured brass frames, though.

ASM (Armi San Marcos), Santa Barbara, were also common & more low-end a few decades ago & parts to fit would be more challenging ($$) to find. Traditions, made by Pietta, are often brass.

If Pietta, or even maybe Uberti, replacement cylinders for their current production model .44's can be found at Cabelas, Midway & many other retailers & sutlers. Prices are under $60 & are specific for fit to the manufacturer & also age of the gun.

Let me know what other stamps & marks you find on it & where they're located.
AMS are reputed to be of excellent quality, many times surpassing that of Uberti

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
93,730 Posts
I find the finish on the grips not comporting with the steel parts (or even the brass, which is also much less corroded than the cylinder and barrel and hammer, but not s nice as the grips). Odd.

·
Registered
35 Posts
AMS are reputed to be of excellent quality, many times surpassing that of Uberti
Having numerous ASM and Uberti revolvers
I have to disagree, while my ASM revolvers are fine guns
They are not superior to my Ubertis, which I feel have a slight edge in quality

1 - 9 of 9 Posts