Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked this up and have no clue what it is,
its next to a regular 39, top was also sold as such.

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
761 Posts
An abomination

·
Registered
299 Posts
I believe it is shorter if you compare each of the sights in relation to the finger grooves in the stocks it also doesnt look like it has as many notches cut in the sight.a very interesting M39 nice find. Indeed show us some more pictures and maby place a ruler next to that odd looking sight.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am impressed with how good the small M39 looks from a distance in the pictures. If not a bubba job, might it be a possible experimental model, perhaps an updated later experimental version of the mysterious M35 Finn SA short rifle often mentioned but never pictured?
Doug Bowser, in aka SA man's "Rifles of the Snow" and Rifles of the White Death" has mention and sketches of various experimental models based on M27s and M39s. Is the caliber standard 7.62 x 53 R or 54 R, or is it 7.62 X 39 MM, as the Finns were supposed to have been experimenting with short carbine sized M39s based rifles in that Russian short ammo, etc.
Nice buy, I would have bought it too, even if just for the novelty!
Regards,
---DD

·
Registered
761 Posts
An abomination
Still it is very interesting. If it is a prototype, that would really be something. If in 7.63x39 and an original Finnish rifle ? Well that would .......................................................OK, I'm alright now .

·
Gold Bullet member
11,316 Posts
Either very bubba, or very rare!

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
How about some reciever and barrel shank markings ? Is it a round or hex ? If round one could check the tang date to to check if the date is after the experimentals were built.

·
Site Contributor
1,260 Posts
I am impressed with how good the small M39 looks from a distance in the pictures. If not a bubba job, might it be a possible experimental model, perhaps an updated later experimental version of the mysterious M35 Finn SA short rifle often mentioned but never pictured?
Do you have "Sotilaskäsiaseet Suomessa / Military Small Arms in Finland" book series by Palokangas? Part 2 pages 172 - 173 contain some photos of two rifle M/35 prototypes.

Doug Bowser, in aka SA man's "Rifles of the Snow" and Rifles of the White Death" has mention and sketches of various experimental models based on M27s and M39s. Is the caliber standard 7.62 x 53 R or 54 R, or is it 7.62 X 39 MM, as the Finns were supposed to have been experimenting with short carbine sized M39s based rifles in that Russian short ammo, etc.
Nice buy, I would have bought it too, even if just for the novelty!
Regards,
---DD
The 7.62 mm x 39 prototypes were called M/91-56 and M/39-56.

My opinion is that unfortunately this is likely something Bubba made. Lower and upper barrel bands of M/35 were unique and didn't look anything like the typical M/39 bands in this rifle. Only one of these prototypes in with bent bolt is prototype 7 of M/35 rifle and that probably had it because it used stock of M/27 RV. The rear sight in M/35 prototypes is also different (lower, last version has settings up to 12 (1200 meters). Prototype M/39-56 is the one looking most like this one, but it has has no cut in the stock below bolt and the bolt was not bent.

Jarkko

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Where did it come from? What are the markings on the rifle. What is under the wood. Any importer marks?

·
Site Contributor
1,260 Posts
BTW: Photos of M/91-56 and M/39-56 prototypes can be found from the same book around page 182.

Jarkko

·
Registered
459 Posts
If "Bubba" is going to the trouble of making a rear sight from scratch I'd be very surprised.
As mentioned it appears to be of the same style as a '39, but much shorter.
The quality of the work, from what can be seen in these photo's, appears to be very good.
I'd hazard a guess and put my money on it being a little known varient.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Dimensions, at least at this point, won't tell us much other than its shorter. What are the stamps, proofs, other marks on the rifle? Are there any markings underneath the woodline that are not typical M-N marks?

·
Platinum Bullet Member
1,527 Posts
From what I can see I would hazard a guess at a Finnish conversion rather than bubba. Just my gut feeling looking at these few pics. Can we get some pictures of the rear sight from both sides, top, rear and front? How about a picture of the barrel shank and the muzzle/front sight area?

Thanks!

That dished out area, the bent bolt with flat underside and the short rear sight really interest me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts