Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me anything about these?
first up is a plant revolver. then there is a J.P Bower.
and last is a D. Moore. I know that the patents on all of these are old. I don't know the specifics as to condition but if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.
thanks

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Move this post to the black powder forum and see what response you get there.

I am not sure if these are really civil war guns, more likely post civil war era guns; but no telling really. (unless they have some reliable family history to back them up)

·
Registered
56 Posts
1. The Plant's looks like a Third Model Front Loading "Army" revolver, cal. .42. It used a special cup-primed cartridge to circumvent the Rollins patent. Mid-1860s.
These could be used with metallic cartridges or muzzle loaded with percussion caps.

2. Are you sure that stamp is Bower? I've come up with nothing on that name.

JT

·
Registered
56 Posts
3. Moore's Pat. Firearms Co., Brooklyn, N.Y. , ca. 1861-1863. Single Action Belt Revolver, "Seven-Shooter," cal. .32 rimfire. IT had a short life due to an infringement suit the company lost to Smith & Wesson. Many were purchased privately by Union officers and carried in the Civil War.

JT

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got it. Wm. Uhlinger, Philadelphia, 1861 to 1865, was the manufacturer. Lower was one of several trade names he used to avoid detection by Smith & Wesson, since his revolvers infringed on the Rollin White patent.

Yours looks like the cal. .32 model. He also made a .22 caliber model.

JT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.