Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone tell me anything about these?
first up is a plant revolver. then there is a J.P Bower.
and last is a D. Moore. I know that the patents on all of these are old. I don't know the specifics as to condition but if anyone has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.
thanks

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Move this post to the black powder forum and see what response you get there.

I am not sure if these are really civil war guns, more likely post civil war era guns; but no telling really. (unless they have some reliable family history to back them up)

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
they are black powder guns ,,is the brass frame one 22 cal they had 22 rim in the cival war ..what are the calibers ,,22 ,36,44... are the cap fired or do they take a cartridge??

·
Registered
56 Posts
1. The Plant's looks like a Third Model Front Loading "Army" revolver, cal. .42. It used a special cup-primed cartridge to circumvent the Rollins patent. Mid-1860s.
These could be used with metallic cartridges or muzzle loaded with percussion caps.

2. Are you sure that stamp is Bower? I've come up with nothing on that name.

JT

·
Registered
56 Posts
3. Moore's Pat. Firearms Co., Brooklyn, N.Y. , ca. 1861-1863. Single Action Belt Revolver, "Seven-Shooter," cal. .32 rimfire. IT had a short life due to an infringement suit the company lost to Smith & Wesson. Many were purchased privately by Union officers and carried in the Civil War.

JT

·
Registered
56 Posts
Got it. Wm. Uhlinger, Philadelphia, 1861 to 1865, was the manufacturer. Lower was one of several trade names he used to avoid detection by Smith & Wesson, since his revolvers infringed on the Rollin White patent.

Yours looks like the cal. .32 model. He also made a .22 caliber model.

JT

1 - 11 of 11 Posts