Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked this bayonet a couple of years ago in England for 60$. I was wondering if anyone could give me any information on it and what the value might be?. All I know about it is that it is rare.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
2,314 Posts
Nice WW1 german S-84/98,Mellich is a harder mfg to find.You have a nice clear mfg stamp on this one.This bayonet is getting hard to find.This mfg had slightly diifferent blood grooves than the other mfgs.I think 60.00 is a good price even back then.On ebay these WW1 bayonets go from 95 to 150.00 depending on if someone overseas is bidding on it.On ebay the prices can go quite high depending on bidder

·
Registered
678 Posts
Nice WW1 german S-84/98,Mellich is a harder mfg to find.You have a nice clear mfg stamp on this one.This bayonet is getting hard to find.This mfg had slightly diifferent blood grooves than the other mfgs.I think 60.00 is a good price even back then.On ebay these WW1 bayonets go from 95 to 150.00 depending on if someone overseas is bidding on it.On ebay the prices can go quite high depending on bidder
This looks very similar to a ww2 bayonet I have for the k98. Are you sure it isn't from ww2? I thought, that the ww1 Gew98 bayonets were the "butcher" blade/sawback types. Then again, I could be wrong.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Here is another WW1 bayonet,its 1917 dated,somebody chromed it,maybe its for the elusive chromed HONOR GUARD rifle!!

·
Gold Bullet member
853 Posts
Your bayonet is a M1884/98 Second Pattern. These were made from 1915-1918. Had the war continued, this bayonet would have eventually supplanted the M1898/05 as the primary bayonet for the Gew 98 rifle. The WW II bayonet is the M1884/98 Third Pattern. When it came time to re-start production in 1934, they made only a few very minor changes to the WW I design. The most visible change was that WW II bayonets were blued, while WW I bayonets were in the white. You can read more about the history of these bayonets in my surplusrifle.com article, The SG. 84/98 III Bayonet for the Kar 98k Rifle.

Congrats on a good find!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here is one I can not figure out. It has no German markings anywhere just the numbers in the picture. It did not have any grips on it when I bought it so I put an extra set of German grips on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts