Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received the "1600" 30-06 discussed some a few weeks ago. It looks pretty dirty around the action and the safety is stuck (off), so decided to take it apart. Two screws out of the bottom plate, but the barreled action won't come off the stock. It raises about 2 mm on either end, seeming to pivot at the ring. Can't get the ring to rise up out of the stock groove. It looks very greasy beneath the action, could be some hardened grease? The floor plate won't come off either, it will raise about 3mm off the rear end, but the front (where screw was) won't seem to move. I have not yet taken a hammer to it yet, light tapping with a wood hammer handle on the forward screw, partly inserted, yields nothing.

There are no other visible fasteners. Am I missing something? Secret word, button or what?

Could it be bedded in something? And this tight?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Is there any indication that the stock might have been bedded with an epoxy or fibreglass type compound? If so, try sticking it into the freezer overnight so that the metal contracts, then try to take it apart. Also check to see that a front type sling swivel is not screwed into a block under the barrel.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Buffdog Thanks,

Shortly after posting I went back at it. I screwed the long screw into the front hole on floor plate, then tightened 'til it bottomed, then I tapped firmly on the screw head with gun upside down in a cradle. I used a brass drift and small hammer with smart whacks on the drift. It slowly came out. I had saturated the area with WD-40, thinking that grease was gumming it. Yes, it was bedded, looks like long ago and the previous owner had never taken it apart to clean. What a mess! Thick layers of hardened grease. Solvent took that off. Good bedding job, very tight!

I took out the small screw holding the safety in, and drifted the small pin which is also the trigger pivot, cleared the slide safety to come out of its slot. It was jammed with caked grease, but cleaned up nicely. Now to reassemble, much cleaner and oiled. And with a working safety!

Took off the two scope bases, numbered 25 and 35 (front on the ring-longer), they look like Weaver bases, but no other marks. Same day I got the guns I got a Weaver K4 ("vintage" El Paso, TX) off ebay to install. Thought a '60's gun should get a '60's scope. European scope would have been nice, but can't afford that. Now to find some rings...and some 30-06 ammo.

Pics later. Gun is import stamped Kebco under the barrel just forward of the stock. Also got that CG "Employee Rifle", or Lynx, very nice condition.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.