Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Evening Gentleman,
One of the police officers I work with from time to time brought a couple of rifles to my attention. I just don't know enough to give him a proper evaluation and I am hoping someone here can do so. His intentions are to sell as he feels thay are wasting space and would be better appreciated by someone with a particular interest. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. The following are the pice he sent me this evening.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm no expert on this, but it looks to be a gew 88 or Steyr-Mannlicher sporter.....most likely a gew 88 from the look of the bolt. These seem to be fairly rare and sell for about $400-700 on Gunbroker. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I disagree. Looks to be an early commercial Steyr-Mannlicher with the checkered front receiver ring - maybe an early 1903 model. It has the commercial rotary mag and offset claw mounts but retains the charger guide. Without the rings, value is seriously hurt as replacements will cost hundreds of dollars due to a smith having to custom make them ;)

I'd say it's in the $700-800 range if the bore is nice.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for taking the time to share your information. Claven.... it is indeed a M1903 and a shame about the rings :(

David

·
Registered
150 Posts
More Help

Yeppers, definitely a commercial Mannlicher-Schoenauer, pre 1929, carbine. Curse those claw mounts. If it is a M1903, it should be marked as such on the receiver ring. Looks like the Germans got to it at some time in its history, judging by all the proof marks.
LLS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts