Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a bayonet I traded into and do not have much knowledge and wanted to see what you fellas could add. I gather it is a 1920 reissue with the date as shown. Is the portopee right or all wrong? What unit was it issued to, is the maker scarce, and what is she worth in terms of value? She just spoke to me so I traded with an old friend.... Thanks in advance for info.... Here are some pictures......

Attachments

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Danny,

Thank you for the info.....

Is there any way to know what unit in the army the portopee is meant for?

Seems like the Simpson connection is right for the 1920 marking from what I have researched....

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Danny,

Thank you for the info.....

Is there any way to know what unit in the army the portopee is meant for?

Seems like the Simpson connection is right for the 1920 marking from what I have researched....
After WWI, this was a police bayonet, not Army issue. The "Ma" unit mark is the Mannheim police.

Also, it's probably unlikely that the Circle S is Simson.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I stand by what I said for Ma.
In this case, the interpretation is simply incorrect. Identical unit marks are found on a type of police bayonet, Badisches Polizei-Seitengewehr, that were only used by police units in Baden (where Mannheim is located) and nowhere else. It is also found on police modified Lugers, etc. It is without much doubt the Mannheim Schupo.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
Here are some known Police unit marks Mannheim is not listed but Mannheim is Baden Wurttemberg not a Prussian state. Also a list of more Ma unit marks Mannheim is not listed here either. BTW this list comes from Jan C Stills book and are you are telling me he is wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Here are some known Police unit marks Mannheim is not listed but Mannheim is Baden Wurttemberg not a Prussian state. Also a list of more Ma unit marks Mannheim is not listed here either. BTW this list comes from Jan C Stills book and are you are telling me he is wrong?
In this case, not exactly wrong, no. As far as Luger books go, Still's books are better than average, but they are still dated and there is a lot in there that is wrong or incomplete.

"Ma" was used as an abbreviation for Munitionsanhalt, but on this bayonet it is simply the wrong interpretation. Note all of the abbreviations in the book have a city (Ma.C for Munitionsanhalt Cassel, etc.). Without the city, the mark wouldn't identify the ammo depot, so it wouldn't make much sense. These "Ma" marked weapons don't have it. And, as I stated, they are found on police equipment, including equipment specific to Baden and Baden only.

It's the Mannheim Schupo. I'm not sure I've ever seen any equipment marked to one of the ammo depots.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts