Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my 36 Tula ex-PE all put together and put a few rounds through it to sight it in. It seems that the rifle shoots very high. With the crosshairs positioned as high as they will go, I'm getting nice tight groups about four inches above the bull using a six o'clock hold. The mount is totally flat on the receiver and I'm not sure how to bring the groups down. Do I have to shim under one of the rings or is there a better way to bring the shots down? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
603 Posts
I would put a shim under the scope inside of the front ring.
Could you post a photo of your rifle, I am just curious to see it.

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
Aim lower-crotch level-

·
Gold Bullet member
1,189 Posts
Mine did the same thing. center the cross-hairs and use a shim under the scope at the front ring to raise the scope. Mine took two pieces of soda can. :)

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
just be careful tightening the screw on the mounts after shims are used, it is possible to "crease" the scope, ask me how i know. :D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I would put a shim under the scope inside of the front ring.
Could you post a photo of your rifle, I am just curious to see it.
Would like to see pics too.

·
Administrator
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice guys. I made some shims from a soda can and it seemed to make quite a bit of difference. I'll fire it tomorrow and see where it's printing and go from there. Vic, I may be aiming my foot at your crotch in a few days! My backyard range is only about 50 meters so I'll have to head to the gravel pit to see how it does at 100+. The rifle is one I got several years ago at Big5 for $49.95 and have been planning to re-scope for quite some time. I can tell you that this was a BIG job and probably not something I'll do again! It would be so much easier to do this to a standard non ex-sniper as the welded over holes and the grinding the Russians did on the sides of the receiver caused me some major pains. The old welds were hard as glass not easy to work with at all. The work involved was much more than I expected. I got the scope from a Ukrainian seller on E-bay, mount from Accumounts, correct style screws from Feldscher, the hard to find metric tap from River Raider68, and my dear old machinist Grandfather's magic touch in getting all of it to fit together properly. Thanks to all for the help, advice and info to guide me through this! Here's a crappy indoor pic.

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
Now how come I am the only one that has violence threatened against? Have we not always been friends and have I not always looked after you here Mike?.....tears....:(

·
Administrator
3,433 Posts
Just teasing Vic, you know I didn't really mean that! It's just that I haven't been wearing my tinfoil hat lately and the gamma rays from Puyallup have been penetrating my brain. I'm hearing things in my sleep that say, "Vic is evil, Tuco is Satan, my SVT is worth $1200, trade me your crackers for ivory ....you will do as I command..."

·
Registered
185 Posts
I just mounted mine. When I did a dry run on setup before drilling I found that elevation can be changed dramatically by rotating the base and mount 180*. Too late for that once holes are drilled as the holes in the base will likely no longer line up to the holes in the receiver. If scope is removed from the rings and the mount and base are rotated, it will drastically change the POA. Mine lowered from nearly off the field of view to just above center.

Which way does the scope mount slide onto the base? Butt stock toward front sight or front sight toward butt stock? Try removing the scope from the rings, rotating the mount (not the base, just the ring part) 180* and reinstalling it. I bet it comes down a large amount. The mount is not symetrical so this means the mount will now slide on from the opposite direction. (I'm at work and going by memory. I'll look again when I get home.)

Good luck,
DG

·
Administrator
19,280 Posts
It goes from butt to front-

·
Registered
185 Posts
Vic, yes I know it mounts butt to front. I meant which way does Mike O have it mounted. The close up photo appears to have it mounted butt to front but the over-all photo appears to show more overhang over the mag well as if it were mounted front to butt.

Mike O, if you can get the screws to fit with the base turned 180*, try that. It will effect elevation.

Good luck,
DG

·
Administrator
3,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The scope cannot be too far forward as the turret is all the way back against the rear ring as it is. Moving it back any further is impossible. DG, the reason the mount looks different in the two pics is just because I didn't have it pushed all the way forward in one of the pics. It's impossible to put the mount on from the front because the rear sight gets in the way. The base is the same no matter which way you turn it, already tried that. I see that the upper mount with the rings looks like it is lower on one end but I don't want to have the knobs on the wrong side of the rifle. The shimming seems to have brought it down substantially, now I just need to get to a range (longer than my 50 yard backyard range!) and try it out. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Mike O,

"It's impossible to put the mount on from the front because the front sight gets in the way."

You'd think that but I know someone who never removed the mount from the base. Drilled the holes, set it in place and screwed it down....rings backward. :D

I forgot about the thumbscrews. Now that you mention it, it's obviously on correctly. I guess these are all made a bit differently. Elevation was effected on mine when the base was turned around. When my scope arrived the thumb screws were on the wrong side... I turned it around. Glad the shims worked for you.

Post a range report when you get the chance.

·
Silver Bullet member
872 Posts
Mike--- Glad to see everything turned out allright. The mount and rifle look very good and I'm sure you'll get the sighting in problem solved. I bought another 39 Tula ex with the holes already drilled and tapped it went together fairly easy and shoots very well. On the first one I tore out part of the old weld while drilling so the hole is a little larger so I am going to have to fill the two and start over.

Regards
Art

1 - 18 of 18 Posts