Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you may have surmised from the heading, I have a Winchester 1890. My particular example has a completely trashed bore that can't hit anything, especially if you aim at it, and I am looking to get it relined. This rifle is in 22 long and my gunsmith tells me he can get the barrel liner for either a 22 short or a 22lr but that no one makes a liner that will work with the 22 long. He recommends that I find a replacement carrier as altering the original to fit 22lr is all but impossible. My questions are, should I look for an 1890 carrier in 22lr or would it work to get a carrier from a 1906 rifle instead. I know that Winchester didn't make the 1890 in 22lr till about 1919 so examples may be somewhat hard to find, I also know the carrier for the 1906 rifles were 22 short, long, or long rifle interchangeably but can it be transplanted into an 1890 and function correctly? My original plan was just to restore it to shooting form in the original caliber but since that doesn't seem like an option I'm looking for help. Thanks much.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,373 Posts
.22 Short and .22 Long both use the same 29-grain bullet. A liner with proper twist for .22 Short and chambered for .22 long will work fine. Running a 22 Long reamer into a .22 Short chamber will take care of the matter without difficulty.

I'd get it lined using a .22 Short liner and then deepen the chamber for the .22 Long. I will note that finding .22 Long ammo is a chore 9for tht matter, so is 22 Short ot LR these days).

No idea about the various carriers and how they interchange. But the restoration to original you seek shouldn't be hard.

·
Gold Bullet member
1,254 Posts
I have relined a couple of these old rifles, one short and one WRF, both to take LR. I was able to lengthen the carrier on the short to accept LR rounds. I used a 06 LR carrier in the WRF rifle but I think a spacer could be soldered into the original to make it work. The 62 used a different carrier and could take s,l, and LR ammo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts