Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help replaceing trigger guard please.

Topic author: Mambeaux
Subject: Help replaceing trigger guard please.
Posted on: 08/07/2006 2:44:36 PM
I bought a EG Mak with a broken trigger guard. I got the new guard in
and would like any tips or tricks on how to change it. I don't want the spring to go shooting off to never never land.

Thanks for ANY and ALL help!!

Replies:

Reply author: Steve M
Replied on: 08/07/2006 3:13:52 PM
This was cut ( copied ) from the Makarov.com tech page. ( this takes some fairly strong hands or fingers ). Good Luck.

http://www.makarov.com/tech/assembly.html

Remove the trigger guard (not shown)
Release the trigger guard into its normal position. Compress the trigger guard spring by squeezing the trigger guard to relieve tension on the pin at the base of the trigger guard. Simultaneously use a punch to drive out the pin. A second pair of hands or a vise lined with a non-marring material makes this much easier. Slowly release the trigger guard and make sure you see where the plunger and spring go.

and:

Refit the trigger guard (not shown)
This is perhaps one of the trickiest procedures of Makarov reassembly. Unfortunately, we did not take pictures of this on our first session.

Hold the pistol upside-down and insert the spring and plunger into the hole in that order and such that the small protrustion on the plunger is towards the spring. Compress the plunger/spring combination with the trigger guard and hold it into place such that the holes on the trigger guard and frame align. This can be difficult because the spring is relatively strong. A padded vise or a helper might help with this portion. Then insert the pin, which is shaped like a dumbell, and drive it into place with a small hammer and punch.

Replied on: 08/07/2006 3:45:13 PM
I run this pic every now and then of the E.G. tool used to do this job, mostly in case it would inspire someone to make a home build if it would help them.

Be gentle when using a punch or drift and hammer to remove and replace the pin , so as not to damage the frame.

Reply author: CW
Replied on: 08/07/2006 4:11:37 PM
Steve, is this yours? I have one like it. We should compare parts once I dig mine out of storage.

Reply author: NO LONGER VALID
Replied on: 08/07/2006 5:42:56 PM
one thing i found that works good in a pinch are a couple of those plastic zip Tye's. i put the spring and plunger in and positioned the trigger guard and squeezed it together the best i could and had a zip Tye ready to go and slipped it around the whole thing and then pulled it as tight as i could. then i took another zip Tye and put it in place and finished squeezing the assembly together and tightened up the second one till the holes where just a hair off from being lined up. i then took a punch and used it to finish lining the holes up and pushed the pin in as i pulled the punch out. I got it in far enough to the point that all i had to do was finish tapping the pin in. it was actually quite simple and worked great.

Reply author: merc460
Replied on: 08/07/2006 6:02:08 PM
I use two of these clamps, one to hold the frame down to the table (with a pad under the frame) and one to squeeze the trigger gaurd into place. They have rubber pads on them so they are harmless to the finish.

Replied on: 08/07/2006 6:52:34 PM
quote:Originally posted by CW

Steve, is this yours? I have one like it. We should compare parts once I dig mine out of storage.

No , but I wish it was, The owner lives in your area, I think. It's part of a much larger group of E.G. goodies.

Reply author: Parisite
Replied on: 08/07/2006 7:12:38 PM
Slide off, I just mash the rear of the trigger guard down on the forward edge of a sturdy wooden table with one hand pressing down on the breech and the grip hanging off the table. I apply side pressure to the trigger pin with a common nail at various weights of down pressure on the breech with the other hand till the pin starts to slide, then punch it through and out with some stiff wire. The trigger guard spring flies nowhere.

Reply author: criticalbass
Replied on: 08/07/2006 7:54:34 PM
Do not "drive" the pin out. It is stepped, and will damage frame and pin unless pressure is off. It just pushes out.

The suggestions folks have made will all work. I like pressing down on the edge of the bench, but the rubber padded clamp works better for some folks.

Main thing is get the pressure completely off so the step does not encounter the frame on the way out. CB

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trigger guard removal

This is my first post and right off I got to express thanks for the help I found in this forum. The extractor video is fantastic, just needed to load the latest Windows Player version.

I hope my recreation does not infringe somebody. Its not really suitable for mass production, but sturdy enough so far. All the parts were laying around my garage, except a few nuts, washers, plastic cap for the thumbwheel stud (3/16") and the rubber feet (door stopper caps). You'll see a 5/8" id pvc cap, vinyl matting contact cemented to the tool face and under the aluminum barstock, and some useless thumbwheel dohicky I had to shim up with 1/8" ABS plastic. A drill press really helps.

I tried various ways to get the pin out, but wasn't coordinated or bold enough to drive it out. Once pressure was relieved on the spring, a few sturdy taps with a plastic mallet did the trick.

This is my Bulgie project, I promise I won't alter my EG.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts