Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I like these new boards but miss having the old posts to browse. I need help explaining an AR42 that I am looking to possibly buy. There are some things that don't make sense. Here is the tale.
The rifle is supposed to be a vet bringback with a mismatched bolt (matches itself) I am fine with that part. All SN mentioned below do match.
The AR 42 reciever and barrel has a strong blue.
The stock does not look sanded.
The serial is 57XX no block
** The right reciever has a single 26 waff.
The barrel has no waff or SN. Part of a marking that starts with "45" and wraps under the wood is visible.
There is a Swastika on the barrel and the reciever, the lower part did not really take when stamped.
There is a SN on both bands, no waff. SN look legit compared with other K98ks.
There are SN on both the triggerguard and floorplate, no waff.
There is a serial on the rear sight and leaf, no waff.
There is no SN or Waff on the buttplate.
** There is a clear SN on the bottom of the stock. Looks legit.
** There is a single clear eagle 26 on the side of the buttstock, no "H" eagle.
The bayonet lug is unmarked, no SN or Waff, possibly blued?
The crossbolt and take down lack SN or Waff.
The screws do not have Waff or SN.
The gun has a sling and unmarked rod.

First time I viewed this rifle, I felt the stock might have been a german replacement due to only one eagle 26 on side, good SN on bottom, but no Waff or serial on other metal stock parts.

Now I am starting to think maybe this gun was not adopted into the army and is just missing all military proofs. Exception is the lonely one on the stock, one on the receiver, and two partial swastikas. Remember there is no eagle "H" but the stock is unsanded with a clear eagle 26.

Were there rifles that were not proofed for the military and is this one of them? Who may have used this rifle? Is there any other explanation I am not thinking of? Not a RC and not an import.

Thanks,
Diehard

·
Registered
292 Posts
I only have pics of one '42 Ar that is matching. It has a serial number on the front band, solid by the way, can't see the rear band for the sling. No serial on the barrel. Also checked a RC and no serial on the barrel.

Not much to go on from me. But I'd say the bands should have serials if they were original to the rifle.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry if I was unclear. The first time I looked at it, that was my own explanation for why the stock only had a single Eagle 26 on the side and serial at the bottom with no numbers or waff on the takedown, buttplate, cross bolt, or bayonet lug. That's why I thought it might be an armorers replacement stock.

On my second visit, I starting noticing the missing Waff on may other parts like the sight and trigger/floor assembly. That is when I started wondering if it was even issued to the army.

·
Silver Bullet Member
560 Posts
ar 42

A number of years ago I purchased a barrelless ar 42 action that was completely matching. It is in the "i" block. I have since restored it. Although all the parts of the bolt, receiver, trigger group and trigger guard and floorplate were numbered the only waffen acceptance stamp I could find was a E/26 on top of the receiver.

Ski

·
Registered
292 Posts
Oops, didn't read close enough. I have zip for pictures on bands showing the Waa. I've got a '43 that is bolt mis-match in the safe. I can dig it out and check it if you want me to.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The other thing that bothered me was the receiver ring. The bluing was dark and shiny, not new shiny, it still looked old. The receiver ring was very smooth, I really could not make out any machine marks. I could see marks further back on the reciever, near the mod98 and back by the bolt and the bluing looked consistant. It was almost as if this was a commercial receiver, like one you might see on a Banner version, which would have come from the "ar" factory prior. That is why I was wondering if "ar" Mauser Borsigwalde had any contracts that year outside of the millitary (railroad, police, banks, political, etc.).
Thanks,
Diehard

1 - 12 of 12 Posts