Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a Mosin on Saturday from Fin fir and Feather , It's a tula marked 1939, I cleaned off the cosmoline and thought I Had cleaned out the bore, But I must have been mistaken. Put 40 rounds of Russian silver tipped spam can ammo through it and I cannot seem to get it clean, ran the brush soaked with hoppes through it many times and have run at least 30 patches through it and they are STILL coming out black. Am I doing something wrong? I guess I need some input here. THanx

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
There are many threads on this topic.
Currently the generally accepted treatment (well, sort of generally accepted treatment...) is some patches of Windex or hot water to dissolve corrosive salts followed by a bunch of patches (like 20 to 40!) and perhaps brass brushing using a top notch bore solvent like Hoppe's #9 or a similar nasty substance of choice. You can find a number of favorite solvents mentioned -I prefer Hoppe's because it reminds me of cleaning guns as a kid. I then run a lightly oiled patch through, which still comes out a bit dirty no matter what.
There is a lot of deep-seated crud in old bores -lots of actual shooting tends to improve the cleaning situation a bit, but you will be unlikely to get a truly clean patch through. I sit there and cut up old T-shirts as I clean.
With a "new" old rifle I sometimes put a cork in the muzzle. tip the rifle up and pour it full of Hoppe's, letting it sit for an hour or two outside to loosen up old cosmo and crap before brushing and patch cleaning.
I'm going to try one of those electronic bore cleaners as soon as I get the steam up to make one.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,105 Posts

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I'm a believer in the use of electronic bore cleaning with a stubborn crap-infested bore. They are easy to make and do a great job of getting fouling out. Just don't use it more than about 20 minutes at a time making sure you clean off the gunk from the steel rod between cleanings. You wouldn't believe the stuff you can get out of there. Follow up with more Hoppes afterward and then a little oil.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
It's amazing how shiny polished, petrified cosmoline can be. I like you "thought" I had it clean but the patches would still come out brown/black.
It took about 4 hours and many cycles of soaking, brushing and swabbing but I eventually got down to bare metal. Use a 8mm bronze/brass brush. The 30 cal. brush is too small. After you get it bare metal clean, it is not necessary to take it there after every use. In fact many shoot better with a little fouling in them. This is usually just some bullet jacket fouling. It helps fill the pitting and other low spots in the bore. Take your cleaning stuff with you to the range if you can for that first bare metal cleaning. They clean a little easier when warm.
Always clean ASAP after shooting surplus ammo as in the same day. Unless going straight home, I swabb mine at the range to wash out the corrosive salts.
Motor

·
Registered
382 Posts
Got my first Mosin a couple weeks back and THOUGHT I had the bore cleaned out. I'd been using Hoppes but also had a container of kerosene that I was soaking the bolt and other small parts in to eat away at the cosmoline. Decided to soak the brush in kerosene and realized very quickly that I hadn't quite got the bore all clean yet. Noticed a huge difference in how clean it looked after some passthroughs with the kerosene soaked brush. (Keep in mind that you wouldn't want to shoot it until ALL kerosene vapors were gone... and that it will strip any lubrication that was on the barrel as well so you'll want to immediately follow with oil once done) Brake cleaner would do the same job I'd wager.

·
Registered
21,216 Posts
How you get the bore to its most clean state initially may take quite a effort. Its got years of fouling seared into the bore over layers of copper and if there is frosting or light pits, you will just arrive at a Good Enuff state of cleaning, if bore is shiny and just shot a lot (well maintained during its life of shooting), it just takes time & effort to get it clean.

On shiny bores and some with a taint of frost, I find the water flush at the range, dry patch the bore with 4 patches there and run solvent patch down the bore will get it pretty darn clean after shooting corrosive ammo (very black powder fouling stuff it is). Upon return to home, I run a patch down bore and then reapply a solvent patch down bore again. I let it sit 24 hours and if I run two clean patches now down bore: I will end up with a light grey patch which is my signal: its done and just fine. Run a oily patch now down bore and rack the weapon up.

Once the weapon has its initial clean up, I find the above drill to be the norm for general shooting maintenance and its not much effort to keep a rifle ready to go. I do a serious copper eradication effort
with Patch Out every 150 rds fired.

In my endless chase of elixirs to remedy cleaning of rifles and pistols, I find Ballistol ideal for general maintenance of rifles & pistols. I find Break Free ideal for general maintenance of semi auto rifles & pistols.
I find Patch Out superior for addressing copper deposits in any fire arm. I use Hoppes in the bore if he weapon is fired today and is going back out on the firing line tomorrow. Hoppes is great for my short term maintenance needs and is a good universal solvent but its a solvent so if left in the bore, it provides only temporary protection.
For periods longer than 24 hours, I trust oil, or a grease in the bore. Ballistol does that nicely and is easy to pull out of a bore for next shooting event.

The chase for absolute white patches out of a bore is IMHO, a chase to capture sunshine in a jar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.