Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Gents,

Bane and I are fine tuning the final draft of the book we are co-authoring on the Serbian Weapons of WWI. The books includes in depth background on the captured weapons as well as the standard issue weapons. However, the pressing issue at the moment is as follows:

"The multinational Allied Army was pitted against the German 11[SUP]th[/SUP] Army under the command of General Max Karl Wilhelm von Gallwitz, which consisted of the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and 4[SUP]th[/SUP] Corps along with the 10 Reserve Corps. An additional force consisting of 12 Bulgarian Divisions were also attached to his command. The Bulgarian 1[SUP]st[/SUP] Army included the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] and 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Infantry Divisions, the 3/6 and 15[SUP]th[/SUP] Reserve Infantry Brigades, supported by the 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] Cavalry Brigade, a force totaling 117,000 men."

The issue at hand is the detail behind the German Order of Battle on the Salonika Front in the early months of 1916? I have been able to detailed info on the Bulgarian 1st Army, however I have not been able to find details regarding the German 11th Army and the "12 Bulgarian Divisions" under Gallwitz's command?

I'm looking for the details regarding the actual strength of the German 11th Army including the 12 Bulgarian Divisions???

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I still don't have access to my library, which is still in storage. ;>(

Warmest regards,

JPS

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
There is a reference in "Imperial German Army 1914-18, Organisation, Structure, Orders-of-battle", by Hermann Cron, 2002 English translation by Helion & Co Ltd ISBN 978 187 462229 1.
Pages 59/60 'On the Balkans Front' - 30.09.15 Army group Mackensen: Austro-Hungarian 3rd Army, A-H Army group Fulopp & 11 Army.
....... - 20.01.16 changed to (i)A-H 3rd Army (GoC Albania): (ii) Bulgarian Army command with Army Group Mackensen (with Bulgarian 1st Army & 11th Army + Bulgarian 2nd Army. Dissolved 30.07.16 and all Armies came under the command of the Bulgarian Supreme Army command: on 12.10.16 the organisation was - (i) A-H General Command Albania & (ii) Bulgarian Supreme Army Command comprising Army Group Below (11th Army, Bulgarian 1st Army & Bulgarian 2nd Army).
....... - 21.04.17 Below replaced by Army Group Commander Scholtz who remained in command after the Bulgarian special armistice after 30.09.18, with the 11th Army and formations which had been deployed with the two Bulgarian Armies. On 10.10 18, as High Command Scholtz it came under the Army of Occupation in Rumania.

In appendix V, pg 389, Army Group Below (Army Group Scholtz from 22.04.17): lists General of Infantry Otto von Below 11.10.16 - 22.04 17 thereafter General of Artillery von Scholtz.
General Staff Chiefs - 11.10.16 Generalleutnant Alfred von Bockmann and from 15.07.17 Lieutenant-Colonel ( Colonel from 22.03.18) Count Detleft von Schwerin.
I trust this intelligible and useful for the researches.

·
Super Moderator
Field Editor ~ GUNS Magazine, Co-Author ~ Serbian Army Weapons of Victory &PH - Kudu Safaris
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Staffy!

I have that excellent book in one of the boxes in the storage container! While it's excellent info, it still provides no detail regarding the number of Central Power troops along the Salonika Front in the spring of 1916. The Austro-Hungarian Army that served as a part of Mackensen's Army Group for the invasion of Serbia had by that time split off to invade and subjugate Montenegro. This resulted in the combination of units listed above in my original post.

We have one source that suggests that the number of German and Bulgarian troops were approximately equal to the combined strength of the various Allied units along the Salonika Front. I have the complete order of battle for the Entente and the force under French command totaled 402,560 men.

Perhaps the only way to reconstruct the Central Powers estimate would be to use the typical strength of the German Corps, then do the same for the Bulgarian divisions. This approach would at least give me a number to compare to the known Allied strength. I hate to be anal about this, but it will be published in a book and both Bane and I want the contents to be as accurate as we can possibly manage.

Thank you for your input.

Warmest regards,

John

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Hi John - yes it is a slim volume of 400+ pages and necessarily limited. The Order of battle for the British Army runs to 3 volumes + Appendix. I also have "Pour la France" which is handy.
From memory, I recall Naval & Military Press has a few books on Salonika from the Allied side, but which may hold some clues to your research.
Anyway, all strength to your efforts, so much has been forgotten over the years.

·
Super Moderator
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Staffy!

To confuse matters even more, Bane has just sent me additional info from Serbia. I'll wade through it all and let you know if I've made any progress.

Warmest regards,

John

·
Super Moderator
11,478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the kind offer southridge!

Bane accessed another original Bulgarian source that goes back to a history of the Salonika Front written in 1925. It provided what we needed, which was an approximate Central Powers Order of Battle on the Salonika Front in the Spring of 1916 when the reorganized Serbian Army was transferred to the Front from Corfu.

The book covers the small arms used by the Serbian Army during the course of WWI and the history at the start of the book is an overview. As is so often the case, the situation in Macedonia was extremely fluid, so anything we use is merely a snapshot.

Thank you one and all for your input. Back to work!!!

Warmest regards,

John

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
Could be of interest?
'Macedonia Volumes I & II of the Official History of the Great War, Other Theatres', reprint of 1935 edn., are available from www.naval-military-press.com @ Pounds 35 Sterling.
Order # 12960 and 12961.
But what may be of wider interest is, 'Histories of 251 Divisions of the German Army which Participated in the War (1914-1918)'; US War Dept 1920, reprint 2001, SB 794 pgs. @ Pounds 14.99 Sterling.
Order # 3496.
Good hunting.

·
8,107 Posts
Good information Staffy, keep in mind that Histories of 251 Divisions of the German Army which Participated in the War (1914-1918) is available several places on the web, one is:

http://www.gwpda.org/1918p/USintel_germanarmy14-18.pdf

Having the book in hand is easier to work with of course and the price is very reasonable, but the online version is well worth bookmarking for assistance when needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.