Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time lurker here and I have enjoyed reading the great info this site has to offer. I have been hit by the "bug" to
pruchase a new C&R rifle and settled on an M96 rifle. I live in So. Fl. and have the oppurtunity to visit Samco Arms and
look thru the rifles they have in their showroom. Has anyone purchased any M96's from them and if so, are you satisfied with them. They also have ammo for sale there....with wooden bullets!! practice ammo I guess, people seem to buy this and replace the bullets. Was wondering if people shoot them as is or are they buying them as a source of brass to reload only??

Thanks for any help.

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,219 Posts
SAMCO has a good reputation , but their supply of Swedish mausers has been long gone . No telling what they have left for sale now . SAMCO got the last of the Swedish mausers in military stores in 1996 . So , you can see that after 18 years , your choice will be very limited . The wooden bullet ammo is a blank , used with a blank firing device . The bullet will pretty much disintegrate shortly after leaving the muzzle , so of no use for target practice . They had gallery practice ammo for indoor shooting . Good brass for reloading . Dump the powder & wood bullet & use the primed case .

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir for your help and info. I think I will go there and see what they have. I would like to see in person what is available
before I plunk down my cash. There are also a couple of gunshows in the area and will check them out also. This is one purchase I don't want to do online. I've had a couple of bad experiences doing that.
Again, much appreciate your time and help !!

·
Registered
162 Posts
The wooden bullets do not disintergrate by themselves, but do with a shredder attachment(need threaded barrel). Samco at one time sold, then gave the shredders with minimum ammo purchase. I'll guarantee that a 6 grain realitivally flat metal projectile will not be as accurate or reach out as far as a very aerodynamically styled 6 grain wooden projectile. The metal gallery ammo is very short range stuff(10-20yds). The boxed 20 rounders has a bit of tarnish and the belted has even more tarnish and is hard to de-belt. That is news from a couple years back and I'm sure the condition hasn't improved. Salvaging componets would involve work a number of people may not want to under take And not everyone throws away powder. I've yet to find any bad powder since I started looking in 1959. So far everything has looked, smelled, and burned just right.Best

·
Registered
472 Posts
If he's talking about the blank cartridges with a red wood bullet,I have loaded hundreds. All one must do is pull the wooded "bullet" dump the powder and reload as usual. the gallery rounds with the 5 grn cupped bullet are deadly accurate out to 75 yards.I have shot about 450 rounds of this as well. I have had some tarnished cased m-41 ammo,but never had a problem with performance....Larry

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I have shot 100s of wooden bullets WITHOUT a BlankFiringDevice attached. I am yet to see a single one which was intact on exit. This includes both bolt action and Ljungman rifles.
If ANYONE gets an intact wooden bullet after firing via a swede- I would like to hear of some life accounts vs hypotheticals, please.
a week ago I went out with wooden bullets brass 'treated/processed' (original berdan primer) by me and loaded with H4831 and 140gr Noslers accubonds - under 1/2" groups via a sporterized M96 Kimber and slightly larger with open sights M38 Obie I wanted to test.... about 80fps decrease in velocity compared to a Federal primer and roughly 165fps slower then a magnum Federal primer... (Nosler brass).
Back to wooden bullets - yet to see one punch a hole at 15yrds paper. On the snow it behaves/appears as tiny /to very small splinters -1-3yrds from the muzzle...

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,909 Posts
SAMCO has a good reputation , but their supply of Swedish mausers has been long gone . No telling what they have left for sale now . SAMCO got the last of the Swedish mausers in military stores in 1996 . So , you can see that after 18 years , your choice will be very limited . The wooden bullet ammo is a blank , used with a blank firing device . The bullet will pretty much disintegrate shortly after leaving the muzzle , so of no use for target practice . They had gallery practice ammo for indoor shooting . Good brass for reloading . Dump the powder & wood bullet & use the primed case .
I noticed awhile back they added some M96 rifles to the Collectors Section. I suspect they found a few lately some place. Dunno. But they were out of these for a long time.

https://www.samcoglobal.com/specials/specials.pdf

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,219 Posts
Maybe SAMCO is buying them from civilians in Sweden now , like Simpsons ?

Notice they claim inverted vee front sight & vee rear notch . So , most civilian rifles have not been updated with the post front blade . Seems strange they have a bore disc without updating the sights ?

·
Silver Bullet Member
1,909 Posts
If you watch that Collector page, they come up with some good stuff at times. Most do not click on the Red Collector section and see what they have. The OP may well get to see some of these when he stops there. It would be interesting to hear what condition they are in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
perhaps a silly question:

has anyone ever looked into 'making' gallery rounds?
there should be a 6.5mm lead ball available somewhere?

I have done some for my .222 with 1-2 grns Unique and a .22 lead ball - good fun in the garden to 25 yds

Gunter

1 - 10 of 10 Posts