Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me much about this pistol? I recently bought it for a very reasonable price but know very little about these Tanfoglios. I have searched and searched for information regarding this model in particular but have turned up nothing.

There is a little tool bag with the number TPU95TA30. I know alot of the Tanfoglio model designations began with 'TA' so I did a search for TA30 but couldn't find anything. The number on the frame is CAT 9386 but that hasn't helped either. Its box is labeled Witness Limited B.

The only pictures I can find of other Witness Limited pistols are in stainless and are also designed differently.

Anyone else own one of these? Are they regarded as good shooters?

Anyway, if anyone knows much of anything about this pistol, please post!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Kurz,

I have one and like you, got it at a very good price. Mine is similar but not identical to yours. Mine is marked "FAB92 F.T. - Made in Italy" and the importer is "EAA CORP. HIALEAH, FLA." I have not shot mine as I just stuck in the safe and there it sits.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
As far as I know, the Witness brand belong to EAA. The best places to find any information would be to ask EAA and to ask Tanfoglio. Personally, I would not even bother asking the EAA since they are just an importer.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,921 Posts
E A A witness carry comp- 1 INCH steel compensator, barrel 4. 1 inches long-over all same as the standard model as in mag. capacity. blue or chrome finish 34 oz.
old configuration - vg about $375 and new configuration -vg about-$300.
if sub compact 3.66 barrel. 30 oz shorter configuration vg about $275<><dk

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Here's what I can offer.

The Tanfoglio pistols are made in Italy. They've supplied either semi-finished parts or complete guns to many companies and importers. Virtually all the CZ-75 type clones or copies were actually made in part or in whole by Tanfoglio.
Among the guns actually made with parts or by Tanfoglio were:
Springfield P9.
FIE TZ-75 series.
Excam TA series.
Gamba SAB series.
EAA Witness.
Parts for the Israeli Jericho and Baby Eagle.
Action Arms Swiss AT series.
Tanfoglio apparently offered help to the Turks to make their copy of the CZ-75 and sold here as the Armalite AR-24.

They uses to make a medium size frame for the 9mm and .40 cal that was the same size as the CZ-75, but some years ago went to a large frame that could be used for all calibers including the 10mm and .45 ACP.
EAA guns were offered in blued steel, and for a very short time in the late 1980's they offered a true stainless steel model that had a stainless slide and frame, all other parts being blued steel.
Today, most Witness models have a "Wonder Finish" that's some kind of hard chrome that looks like stainless.

EAA Witness guns are considered "best buys" for the cost/quality. The guns are usually accurate, reliable, and sturdy.

Your Witness Limited is one apparently made before the wonder finish became standard, and is an oder version of the Limited. EAA has upgraded the Limited with new features like the squared trigger guard and different sights and options, which is why yours looks different. Yours does have the standard larger frame.

The EAA guns model numbers always stated with "EA". The "TA" models were the Tanfoglio guns imported by Excam.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anyone know if real CZ-75 parts are interchangeable with this clone? I mean was there a sort of 'mil-spec' standard that CZ laid down when they granted a license (I guess license was granted to copy such a great pistol) to Tangfoglio to produce copies?

I like the looks of the CZ 75 and was considering buying one but I couldn't say no to $140.00 for this one. I still might end up with a CZ-75 before its all said and done. The list continues to grow. Funny thing is, the more I purchase, the longer the list gets.

·
Banned
10,843 Posts
Anyone know if real CZ-75 parts are interchangeable with this clone? I mean was there a sort of 'mil-spec' standard that CZ laid down when they granted a license (I guess license was granted to copy such a great pistol) to Tangfoglio to produce copies?

I like the looks of the CZ 75 and was considering buying one but I couldn't say no to $140.00 for this one. I still might end up with a CZ-75 before its all said and done. The list continues to grow. Funny thing is, the more I purchase, the longer the list gets.
As far as I know there is no license. Furthermore, I do not think Tanfoglio are copies.

·
Copper Bullet member
9,520 Posts
Back in the '80s and '90s, TZ75s were very popular among the Israeli national police, especially in the Ya"Mam counter-terrorist unit. I personally never liked them, the trigger being too far forward for me in DA mode.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Normally, the CZ-75 parts are not interchangeable. There are a couple of minor exceptions. Tanfoglio had the advantage of reverse engineering and tailoring to their manufacturing techniques, even if there had been a standard, which there wasn't. Further, there is no license, as CZ, an amalgamation of the Czechoslovak arms industry during the Cold War years, did not engage in such capitalist concepts.

I like the looks of the CZ 75 and was considering buying one but I couldn't say no to $140.00 for this one. I still might end up with a CZ-75 before its all said and done. The list continues to grow.
That is an excellent price. I would pay that for one that looked like it got rode hard and hung up wet. If you decide to pass, I want first dibs. And, you should have a real CZ in your collection. There is a reason that the CZ 75 has so many imitators. Us CZ aficionados have a saying: "Sigs are for people who don't know about CZs".
Funny thing is, the more I purchase, the longer the list gets.
One of the beauties of the new line of EAA Witness pistols is you can buy multiple top ends in different chamberings and configurations.

·
Registered
7,271 Posts
I have a Witness Compact P(olymer)

I like the pistol very much.
Polymer frame, flat (non-glossy) black slide, 8+1 in the compact mags, it takes the 10-round "full-length Witness" magazines as well, all stagger-stacked.
Fits my big hands very well.

I have had it since the very late 1990's, have something like several thousand rounds of .45 Auto LSWC and JHP through it.

It is tighter-chambered than my Llama IXA and so is a bit sensetive to chamber crud buildup (mostly with thicker Federal brass and cast bullets combined) after 100 or so rounds.

Trigger I have to say is very nice, yes, longish and somewhat heavy in DA mode, not as nice as the 4-pounder in my Llama, but ALMOST as clean and smooth in SA mode.

It is more accurate than I am, I can freehand it to 4" (sometimes less) at 15 yards. I don't expect bushinged-barrel 1911 accuracy out of it, because it's loose-barreled, like the Barretta 92-series. More than good enough for use on human beings or other animals if need be.
It's my part-time IDPA competition pistol and my part-time CCH pistol., thus, I do trust it with my life.

I also switch the configurations I use it in, DA/SA and Cond. 1 SA, because I can, and to stay in practice with it, completely in practice.

Carry it a week or 2, or a month Hammer down, safety off, then go a month or 2 locked back.

It's been a very good pistol and I would buy another if I wanted another.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
The Brothers Tanfoglio didn't need no stinkin' license from a bunch of Commies.
They reverse engineered the design and it's more a close version rather than an exact copy. A few parts will interchange, but usually magazines won't, nor will major components.

Strangely (free enterprise anyone?) Tanfoglio was the driving force behind improvements to the design. As example, CZ announced a prototype rounded "Commander" type hammer for their CZ-75, but said that it would be 4 to 6 years before they were ready to roll it out on a production gun.
Tanfoglio had a rounded Commander hammer on their guns within a year.
Tanfoglio also were first to introduce more curved triggers, extended frame tangs, ambidextrous safeties, the improved trigger bar lifter design, and other improvements that took CZ years to get into production.

·
Silver Bullet member
52,921 Posts
not all the witness functioned great out of the box, few had to be tuned a little and broken in, mag. problems too.
never saw a true CZ 9 mm with problems? even with thousands of rounds run throught them. any of you? <>dk

·
Registered
146 Posts
never saw a true CZ 9 mm with problems? even with thousands of rounds run throught them. any of you?
Some of the newer models, especially those with lightweight alloy frames in 40 S&W seem to have problems from time to time.

I have one of the earlier Tanfoglio "Silver Team" small frame 9mm pistols. The mags are the same as the CZ75B, and are made by the same supplier. I piced up everything in the picture except the ammo for $300.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts