Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
That is a Chakram, an open circle with blades on the outside designed to be thrown in combat.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
About Siamese crests:
Geladen's Rifle is Model 1903 (Type 45), and bears the receiver text: 'R S 121' (the 121st year of the Rama royal dynasty). Actually now, Rama X (10th) is king in Thailand.
The Carbine is Model 1923 (Type 66), and has according receiver text. Type 66 carbines might be shortened Mauser rifles (M1903), but as well new-made Arisaka-type carbines. Both have similar receiver crests.

For details, check the sticky post: siamese-thai-mauser-information

Chris

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
14,561 Posts
About Siamese crests:
Geladen's Rifle is Model 1903 (Type 45), and bears the receiver text: 'R S 121' (the 121st year of the Rama royal dynasty). Actually now, Rama X (10th) is king in Thailand.
The Carbine is Model 1923 (Type 66), and has according receiver text. Type 66 carbines might be shortened Mauser rifles (M1903), but as well new-made Arisaka-type carbines. Both have similar receiver crests.

For details, check the sticky post: siamese-thai-mauser-information

Chris
The Type 66 carbine in my photo is a purpose-built carbine rather than a cut-down rifle.

Do the cut-down rifles have the original rifle crest?

Bill

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
@ geladen: with the words 'cut down', i refer to the description of Siamese Model 1923 (Type 66) in Ball's MMRotW, p. 372 in 5th ed. He states : '...many of them were cut down from the Model 1903 Rifle' . I assume your carbine has a Mauser action.

1886lebel shows in his thread, post#10 (see link above) an Arisaka-type rifle, with same (or very similar) receiver crest as yours:
  • 8-bladed Chakra, to the right
  • text: Type 66
  • difference: your receiver text shows 2 additional letters between 'Type' and '66', which i can't identify.

Chris

·
Platinum Bullet Member and Certified Curmudgeon
14,561 Posts
1886lebel wrote:

The Siamese had negotiated a separate contract for 10,000 *Short Rifles in 1904 with the Imperial Japanese Tokyo Artillery Arsenal that were delivered in late 1904.
They are marked on the left wall of the receiver near the thumb cut-out with the arsenal's symbol, four stacked cannon balls

An additional 3,000 short rifles were made at the Royal Thai Armory in Bangkok from 1936 to 1940. These slightly differ from the original contract short rifles made by the Japanese in that they utilized the later type eight-bladed Sudarshana Chakra on the receiver and do not have the Tokyo Artillery Arsenal symbol marked on the left wall of the receiver.
One of the most unique feature that the Short Rifle differed from the Long Rifle is that it has a knurled rectangular floorplate release button just forward of the floorplate on the triggerguard instead of it bieng within the triggerguard. The reason for this was cavalry troopers wore thick gauntlets which made the trigger finger much wider and easier to inadvertently press the floorplate catch release. This part was designed by Major Kijirō Nambu.
These Short Rifles originally did not have provision for the attachment of a bayonet, it not until the late 1930's that the Siamese decided to fit them to accept a Japanese Type 30 bayonet as they were not only issued to Cavalry but to other specialized troops that required a short type rifle such as the Motorcycle Reconnaissance Squadrons.

* The Siamese / Thai language does not have a corresponding word for 'carbine' and just labeled these firearms as Short Rifles.

I just learned that my carbine is one of 3,000 made in Thailand.

Bill

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
@ geladen: with the words 'cut down', i refer to the description of Siamese Model 1923 (Type 66) in Ball's MMRotW, p. 372 in 5th ed. He states : '...many of them were cut down from the Model 1903 Rifle' . I assume your carbine has a Mauser action.

1886lebel shows in his thread, post#10 (see link above) an Arisaka-type rifle, with same (or very similar) receiver crest as yours:
  • 8-bladed Chakra, to the right
  • text: Type 66
  • difference: your receiver text shows 2 additional letters between 'Type' and '66', which i can't identify.
Chris
The 2 additional characters between "Type" and "66" say "47". Hence, "Type 47/66".
Numerals zero through nine
digit
Thai
numeral​
Thai
word​
Phonemic
transcription
ศูนย์
suunR (zero)
หนึ่ง
neungL (one)
สอง
saawngR (two)
สาม
saamR (three)
สี่
seeL (four)
ห้า
haaF (five)
หก
hohkL (six)
เจ็ด
jetL (seven)
แปด
bpaaetL (eight)
เก้า
gaaoF (nine)

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
sorry, problems with the new Gunboards Forum...

If you'll check the receiver crest in detail, you'll observe that neither a 4 or 7 is used:
both letters look similar to '4' and '7', but not identical...
(originally, i thought the same: it's 47/66 ...)

I don't know which Thai letters are used for these 2 'middle' letters. The 1st one looks similar to a Thai '4', but not identical. The 2nd one has some distant resemblance with a '7'. If you compare with the '7' on the rear sight, there's a significant difference .
I didn't find other Thai letters in the web that would match...
-> might need a native Thai speaker to identify that receiver crest text...

Chris

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
They are a 4 and a 7. Call it different fonts or individual styles, but that's what they are. Look at the 6's, not exact in every way to those on the crest but they are 6's.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts