Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Need some opinions on the value of a Chinese T-53 I just discovered at a local pawn shop.
It's 1953 dated with the Chinese characters, no factory marking that I could remember, 90% blue, worn finish cleaning rod, OK stock, no sling, good bore. It's import marked , so it's not a Vet bring-back. The kicker is not one number matches. It's a total grab bag of serial numbers on the bolt, receiver, mag floorplate, buttplate, etc. The shop has it marked as a Steyr M-95! They're asking $95, but I think they'll take $75, but not much less.
I really don't collect Chinese arms, mainly focusing on Finn and Russian MN stuff, but I've read the T-53s are decent. So is $75 too much? There are no Mosins ever in the shops around here, so any rifles I order usually come with a $30 transfer fee attached. I'm kinda tempted, but I really should be saving up for more important stuff such as the R-guns snipers, CMP M1 Garands, and others that could disappear soon. My gut says pass, but I feel like I should rescue it too! Help a brother out here! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
IMO the thing is worth $50-$60 at best. M44's are about the same money and better quality craftsmanship, stock, etc. If you are confident the mechanics are ok and the headspacing is alright then try and talk em down some more(deal hard) if all you want is a shooter. If you want a collectible then you might want to pay a little more and get it online. For $30 you can get an 03 C&R FFL then you can buy online and have it shipped direct to you. I don't know where you are at but several dealers sell online and you can get an M44 or M91/30 for about $70-80 + shipping. Point out how they have it listed wrong and how it is just a big mismatch, maybe you can get it for another $10-15 off.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the price range guys. It really helps. I'll offer $50. Too much good stuff out there to overpay for a commonly available rifle. I'll post a photo if I get it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
IMO the thing is worth $50-$60 at best. M44's are about the same money and better quality craftsmanship, stock, etc.
hate to argue but i have yet to find a T53 that had worse craftmanship than an M44... T53s generally are just as well made if not better with much improved triggers over russian M44s

and with 90% blue and the cleaning rod (even if the rod was added after it was imported it's a $10-15 part) even mismatched it's worth $75 if the shop won't take any less the $35 beaters that omega sold (are they still available?) after shipping were right at $49 and that's for a mismatched, little to no finish remaining, dirty, beat to hell rifle what mine looks like now after cleaning and addition of sling

plus 1953 is supposedly a low production year for the T53 similar to 1943 for the M44

and the lack of sling is no big deal.. the slings themselves aren't common... check with rick reich he might have some left

·
Administrator
3,434 Posts
If I had the money and the rifle was in front of me, I would buy it without hesitation. Like Jim7 said, 1953 is the first year of production and not very common to run across. If the bore is nice, even better as T53's are usually pretty worn out in that department. I also agree that T53 quality is at least as high, and in many cases higher than Russian made M44's. T53's are also no longer importable so no more will be reaching these shores any time soon. I got two from Omega and they were VERY beat up with splintered, cracked and dirty wood, 10% blue and good+ bores. After shipping they came to $48 each which I still think is a bargain in spite of the rough condition.

·
Registered
480 Posts
can't resist an opportunity to post this pic

same one link to above but with the accessory i recently purchased that was more expensive than the rifle

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,710 Posts
My T53 is my slickest M44 variant period, up there with a minty Polish one in terms of fit and finish. The wood is beautiful - some Asian variety; not one of the typical European woods. I think the beater reputation T53's have is due to often lengthy storage under high humidity conditions.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
You guys must get a different batch from the ones I've seen out here in missouri. All the ones I've seen have been beat up junk and I got rid of the 2 I had because my Izhevsk M44 was a lot nicer.

·
Registered
682 Posts
So are the Omega ones good or junk? I know, $35 for a mosin is awesome, but what condition are they in?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I wish I could buy type 53,s for fifty bucks .
if you have a C&R omega weapon systems has them for $51 shipped and the condition varies from a best case of beat up and worn on the outside and a good bore to worst case of just as ugly on the inside as it is on the outside these are sold as being in fair condition and all of them require alot of cleanup as they tend to be extremely dirty (some of that from sitting in tuscon gathering dust for a number of years)

if you want to spend a bit more ask them if they have any of the all matching rifles left... they cost a little more and tend to be in better shape

·
Registered
398 Posts
1953 dated T53

Be mindful of a small Chinese character at the end of the date; I remember reading somewhere that if there's one there, it was one of their trials rifles. I have one with the mark and I'm currently trying to research the trials rifle theory.
DB

1 - 17 of 17 Posts