Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, gentlemen. This is my M91 that I got for Christmas last year. I originally thought it wasn't worth much, like all the 91/30's floating around out there. Then I got to looking into it, and I noticed some peculiar things about her. It's got loads of proof marks, capture marks, and a magazine swivel. I just need some more information!

This is what I know:
-Made by Tula, in 1898
-[SA] capture mark
-Arshinii marked out on left side, with numbers added on right side
-Westinghouse proofmark on the bolt in two places
-Izmash marks on the buttplate and metal piece (what is that thing called, btw?) on the front handguard
-Sling swivel on magazine well, like the original 91's, but no finger rest

This is what I don't know (and need to know!):
-Value, value, value!
-How rare is she?
--How does the sling swivel affect value, and why is it there? This is the question I'm most curious about.
-Do the SA marks increase or decrease value?
-Does the Westinghouse bolt increase or decrease value?
-It's never been sanded, and you can (kind of) see the original burnt on serial number on the stock. How's that affect value?
-Are there any other proof marks I should know about on her? Are there any Bulgarian Pinecones?

Thank you for helping me out!

Here are the pictures. Enjoy, and let me know what you guys think!-
(I'll get some other pictures posted of the sights, where it's been crossed out and altered in a bit. And if you fellows need any other pictures at all, let me know and I'll post them right away.)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Can't answer all your questions but will put my 02. in on a few... Fairly standard Finn mixmaster M-91, albeit a nice one. I'd estimate value in the $225 ballpark.. Mag sling swivel does add some value and is desirable. It's year of manufacture may add some value and MIGHT qualify it as an antique (other will likely chime in quickly to clarify this, I am certain). Not rare, but a nice gun nonetheless. Much nicer than the typical refurb 91/30 IMHO.. Enjoy BeSwift

·
Platinum Bullet Member
3,546 Posts
Very nice rifle. Typical Finn in the sense that it is a mixed bag of parts. It is what it is and is correct as is. The parts in themselves do not raise or lower the value to most collectors. While in some sense it is nothing special or rare, it is a wonderful older Finn M91. Value is in the eyes of the beholder. The older M91s seem to draw more attention regardless of originality as most are Finn rifles anyway {rebuilt, sold to, reworked ect}. My guess at value would be from $200 to $275, maybe more to the right buyer. Some of these go much higher than I think they should, and I pick up some real nice ones for the $150 range. But some people think the pre 1899 rifles are worth a lot more so they can sell/buy without using FFL. Just a guess on my part. Nice rifle I like it. I would not put the baynet on and off if your planning on selling it, it tears up any remaining finish on the muzzle end. My 2 cents. John

·
Ramen noodles or Bill Gates?
1,964 Posts
the parts from different arsenals are common on finned m1891's, and really don't add value to it. the bolt appears to be a mismatch, too. (unless it was stamped to match on the bolt knob, but no pic's of that). the early magazine with the swivel may add a little to the value, but like most of the parts on the rifle is most likely not original to the rifle. the mag swivel, along with a swivel that fit onto the front band, is the early style sling attachment for these rifles. an original stock wouldn't have sling loops cut into it though.
One thing that glares at me in the pics though is that the stock HAS been stripped and refinished. from the color of the stock and the look of the cartouches, looks like it was treated to eazy-off and hot water.
still a nice rifle, and my favorite model of the mosin. prices on them have not done well in the last 3-4 years though, and 250 is probably at the top end of what it would bring. you might do better at auction since it does look to be an antique (have to check the bottom of the tang on the receiver to see if it matches the barrel).
The finns did sometimes mate barrels and receivers, so there is a chance that the receiver is newer than the barrel.

y'all have a good day, Keith

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MK92 - I thought maybe that stamp in the 4th picture was a bad hit of a Westinghouse proof. I may be completely mistaken though.

You guys have been immensely helpful. Thank you all very much. I love having all the history behind this gun, and that's one of the reasons I believe that Mosins are so great to collect. Also, to know that it's not just of 91/30 value is nice too. I'm not looking to sell it anytime soon, I plan on keeping it for many more years - I just like to know the value of it, for knowledge's sake.

Once again, Thank You!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts