Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been given an old Mauser rifle from my grandfather since it was rusted and needed restoration. I haven’t been able to find a matching model On the Internet. The bolt is missing its extractor and if I can find out what model it is I can buy the correct extractor.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
That doesn't look to be a Mauser bolt.
It's probably from a re-worked military rifle, commercially reworked in Germany around 1900-1910. This is visible by the German proof marks on bolt head and body. The bolt itself shares features from several rifles: bolt head is similar to a Mauser IG 71; the choking piece looks like a French Gras rifle...

Please show some pics of the rifle, especially the receiver. That might be necessary to identify her.
A Mauser IG71 extractor might match ?

Chris

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Chris!
I currently have the barrel and the other parts sitting in a rust remover. When they're done I'll post photos of them!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Thanks a lot for these pics !
Your rifle seems to be a very unusual model. She doesn't look like the usual German, French, Dutch military models. But your receiver seems to be a Mauser type, from the position of the extractor.
Please provide more pics from left receiver side, and overall length.
Are there any marks / stamps on the receiver visible? What cartridge is she?

Sorry for that, but your rifle is definitely a very rare bird. From stock and trigger, she's a sporting rifle, no military.
Please check, if she has similarities with a Mauser 1871 Short Action (see pdf - MMRotW)
--> that would make her pretty rare and collectible.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There are no markings at all besides the proof marks and I'll go and measure the lengths. The entire bolt assembly is exactly the same as a short action. The part of the barrel that touches the receiver is also very similar in length to the short action.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Don't know if this helps, but it was common to make over or rebuild rifles with the single shot receivers and bolts into stalking rifles and in some cases schutzen or target rifles. Fairly easy to convert what with the detachable bolt hear and being a single shot helped a lot. Is there anything stamped on the under side of the barrel?. A lot of the German single shots had the info on the under side of the barrel. Frank

1 - 12 of 12 Posts