Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rifle is my WASR 3 in .223. I bought this last year and fired maybe almost 600 rds through it. I use a Weiger mag 30 rder. Its been smooth feeding and no FTF or FTE since I had it. Then last week i went shooting. I was using Silver Bear 55 grain FMJ . After 6 rds it failed to eject. Then from what I see the empty case got stuck. I removed the bolt and cover and ram a cleang rod down the muzzle end and tap several times and out came the spent case. I reassembled and shot several rounds, then this jam happened once again. I did the same remedy and reassembled. I loaded a magful and let bolt fly. Whoops, the bolt stripped the top round and fed into chamber but is not completely chambered. I retract bolt and let fly but still cartridge will not . I disassembled again and had the cleaning rod pop the cartridge. I picked up the ammo and inserted into breech, and this is the problem, the cartridge sticks out about 3/8 of an inch as seen in picture. I thought it must have been carbon builtup so i proceeded to end my shooting season and went home. Once back i used brush and hoppes and cleaning rod and did the usual bore cleaning. Several times, yeah . Then hoping it was only that, I inserted a round and still it will not fully seat in chamber.
I used flashlight to see if theres obstruction or something but cant find any. Im puzzled. Does anyone have any idea what happened? I already cleaned the whistle out of this barrel.
Could it be a headspace problem ? Im thinking it might be a burr but after almost 600 flawless rounds before this thats not a possibility.
I know WASR 3 are a problematic bunch but this rifle has been very accurate and I hate to see this is happening. I m thnking of going to have a gunsmith see the problem. But like I said maybe someone here have similar experience and can shed some light as to why this is happening. Thanks

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I tried another cartridge made by sellier and bellot 55 gr and its still same as in the pic. I looked thru both ends with flashlight and dont see any obstruction. I have passed the cleaning rod both ends several times and out the dirty patches. Is there a possibility the chamber walls could have bulged and thereby it is more tighter ? Im just puzzled by this.

·
Administrator
17,806 Posts
There might still be carbon buildup in the shoulder area of the chamber. I'd wet it with a penetrating solvent and leave it wet for 2 or 3 days, then clean it again. You may need to get in there with a dental pic or something.

·
Diamond Bullet Member/Moderator
54,378 Posts
I'd say you ripped the casing off in the chamber, try a broken shell extractor I had a SKS do the same thing once, it was a small peice of the shoulder and neck area that was still in there. Just by looking it looked fine since the way it was ripped still let me see the bore perfectly.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I'd say you ripped the casing off in the chamber, try a broken shell extractor I had a SKS do the same thing once, it was a small peice of the shoulder and neck area that was still in there. Just by looking it looked fine since the way it was ripped still let me see the bore perfectly.
+1

If any part of the shoulder and neck separated from a previously fired round then you will not be able to fully chamber a round.
Definitely try a broken shell extractor.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I may have to soak this for awhile. THe possibility part of the neck case and shell casing must have broken is highly true. I ll try to get a pic tomorrow.

·
Registered
475 Posts
if you take an empty shell case and carbon it up with a lighter. then chamber it as far as it will go and remove it. it will show marks in the carbon where it is hitting. this will identify the area that is the problem.

I agree you will probably find a ripped case. if it is part of an aluminum case . remember aluminum has a high coefficient of expansion. put it in the freezer if you have problems getting it out.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,587 Posts
Apply a little Kroil or good penetrating oil into the chamber & let it sit overnite, or at least a few hours. If you don't have a broken shell extractor, try a bronze bristle brush. A .45 cal brush on a cleaning rod, jammed up past the chamber & into the bore will cause the bristles to point backward towards the chamber. When you yank it back out, the bristles will lodge on the case mouth and hook it to pull it out. You may need to do several tries. I have several stuck case extractors, and haven't used any of them yet, since I always have a raggedy old sacrificial bronze brush on hand to try first.

The freezer is also a good idea.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you have a container of "canned air" or an air duster like used on computers you can use it as freeze spray. Just turn the can upside down and spray the liquid where you want to freeze an area. Walmart has it for $3.00 a can. I would use Kroil as my first choice if something is stuck in the chamber. If you use the freeze spray and try to chamber an empty case sometime it will break loose the one in the chamber and remove it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I took a broken brass case out of my SAR-3 by blocking the bore ahead of the chamber and filling the chamber with plumbing solder.
After the solder cooled knocked it out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle, broken case was stuck to the solder, not sure it would stick to a steel case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts