Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 4 months ago I picked up a 1941 VKT Finnish M39 that was supposedly built on a Russian PE hex receiver from Empire Arms. Four of the six screw holes are open, 2 have broken off screws in them. I had on hand an Accumounts hex base and a Ukrainian round base I got from Coles years ago. None of the holes in these 2 bases line up with the receiver. The screws that came with the Accumounts base (M5x0,5) are too big, but the ones from the Ukrainian setup (M4x0.7) fit perfectly.

Hole spacing on the bases I have is 17.5 mm between centers and the holes on the rifle are around 15.2mm.
Ratnik, who was able to furnish me with and undrilled base, is thinking maybe it's some kind of a field drill.

Does anyone know what the hole spacing is for a Finnish SOV or a M39-43 sniper and/or have an idea what this may have been?

TIA
Jay

·
Gold Bullet member
3,053 Posts
About 4 months ago I picked up a 1941 VKT Finnish M39 that was supposedly built on a Russian PE hex receiver from Empire Arms. Four of the six screw holes are open, 2 have broken off screws in them. I had on hand an Accumounts hex base and a Ukrainian round base I got from Coles years ago. None of the holes in these 2 bases line up with the receiver. The screws that came with the Accumounts base (M5x0,5) are too big, but the ones from the Ukrainian setup (M4x0.7) fit perfectly.

Hole spacing on the bases I have is 17.5 mm between centers and the holes on the rifle are around 15.2mm.
Ratnik, who was able to furnish me with and undrilled base, is thinking maybe it's some kind of a field drill.

Does anyone know what the hole spacing is for a Finnish SOV or a M39-43 sniper and/or have an idea what this may have been?

TIA
Jay
Hi Jay,

The holes look very similar to my M39-43. I will dig it out and check the spacing for you.

PA

·
Copper Bullet member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anxiously awaiting your findings.

Thank you.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,053 Posts
Anxiously awaiting your findings.

Thank you.
Jay,

Not the best pics; had a hard time holding the calipers and getting a good photo but as you can see the hole spacing looks very close to yours.

PA DSCF8333.JPG DSCF8335.JPG

·
Copper Bullet member
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hole spacing looks to be the same as mine.
What year is your rifle and I assume it was made by VKT?
Are there any special stamping to indicate it was a sniper?

·
Gold Bullet member
3,053 Posts
Hole spacing looks to be the same as mine.
What year is your rifle and I assume it was made by VKT?
Are there any special stamping to indicate it was a sniper?
Hi Jay,

Yes it is a VKT made in 1941. I'm not well versed on the M39-43; I need to do more research myself but as far as I know they did not have any special markings. The bases were different than a typical Soviet PE base so that explains the hole spacing difference. I think someone on the collector forum posted a list or partial list of M39s by serial number that Finland sold. If my memory is correct the list contained some M39 snipers as well.

I was fortunate to pick mine up through a trade with a fellow sniper collector. I had a PE sniper he was interested in and he was gracious and offered me the M39-43 in trade. Until that point I had very little knowledge of these and really need to do more research myself. PM sent as well.

PA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts