Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

This post might be a bit long winded... but here goes. I'm a total Enfield nut, and enjoy shooting them more than anything else in my collection. However, I have a problem that I probably share with a lot of you, my sights are holding the guns back IMO...

1st gun I will discuss, is my 1942 Lithgow SMLE, its currently in rehab because the stock split on its one and only outing to the range. The gun has been through FTR and has a mint barrel on it. I plan to pick of new stock set to replace the crappy Indian wood that broke. But I would also like to add the Parker Hale target sight to it, where is the best place to look for one? What about the long buttstock?

2nd gun is kinda up in the air, I have a ratty No.4 with a nice 2 groove barrel, but I've heard the stories of 2 groove barrels being bullet sensitive, I don't reload, and mainly shoot Wolf Gold 303. Any range reports with a 2 groove and Wolf? Should I look for a different rifle, say a Long Branch?

I want to build a Super No.4 to go with my Super SMLE, my plan for both is to bed the actions, add target sights and smoother triggers.

For the No.4, I want to add the Parker Hale target sight that Sarco sells ( if they still have them ).

Anybody use a Huber trigger? I've seen them, but I want to retain the two stage trigger, just make it smoother and lighter. Is the Huber trigger a two stage?

Were both SMLEs and No.4s availible with long buttstocks?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
262 Posts
The Sarco sights are not for the

No4. They were for a different rifle. I heard you can use it but you have to drill the rear sight axis pin hole bigger ( not a good idea) and then the side of the receiver for the windage ball ( not a good idea either). Neither one can be reversed.

Both came with L butts

·
Registered
47 Posts
where to get parker hale sights for an enfield? I would go to a league shoot at your neighbourhood range (target rifle guys), and get to talking to them. One of the gents had a Central sight on his musgrave .308 he was using for example on the last outing I went on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Two groovers

Good luck. I started target shooting No4's in 1965 and the two v five groove argument was a good one for quite a few beers after a shoot. Both shot well and I preferred a two groove. As for accuracy, it depends on the barrel - not just if it looks OK - (one of the most accurate barrels I ever saw was a heavily pitted two groove), and the bedding - getting it "just right". Most of us target shooters had the club armourer fix up our rifle - bought for $10 ("used") or $20 ("never issued/still in the LB or Savage grease), while those more desperate paid $120 for a "Regulated by Fulton" version already bedded by experts.

You will need a Parker Hale 5A sight for the SMLE and a PH5C (or the 4/47 version from AJ Parker or clones such as the AE Clarke or DOW) for the No4. They were designed to be attached by the existing screwholes. If you are in the USA, expect to pay about $100 or so, watch e-bay etc.

I suggest that you use the search engines to check for "bedding the No4" or the on-line copy of Jim Sweets book on the shooting and bedding of the SMLE.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I would not give ebay the time of day. I tried getting into a bidding war for one of these sights and it quickly got frigging retarded. And you don't have any idea who you're bidding against, probably the seller.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts