Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Greetings from a new member! I've been fooling around with firearms for about forty years and it's nice to see there is a place where I can pick the brains of some folks who seem to know what they are doing! In fact, I've just begun a project and you might be able to help me with it.

A local pawnshop has sold me a Swedish Mauser dated 1900 with an Oberndorf stamp and a five-digit s/n. My intention is to sporterize it properly in the European style. That seems to be the only sensible course of action since the non-matching bolt and the one remaining piece of stock have both been pretty well boogered up!

But the metal is in absolutely incredible shape! Looking at it I would guess it was about five years old. I have heard (and read) that there are fakes out there and I've been trying to figure out if mine is legit. I have, in fact, read the tutorial on this board on that subject, but was not able to make much of it, since mine has lost all its furniture.

Would photos help?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Yes, please post some pics. We should be able to tell from them. Your best bet may be to restore the piece and sell it to a collector. There are replacement stocksets w/metal out there for around $50. Straight bolt bodies are still fairly affordable. Take the money and buy an original Swede sporter from someone like Allans Armory. You'll be way ahead. However, there is some satisfaction in "rolling your own" so to speak. I still love my Swede sporter I built 15 years ago. It too was from a non-matching rifle. Every gun lover should have at least one!

Richards Microfit makes a nice stock called the Old Classic which might work well. Theres also one called the Safari Classic which has a more European look with the small cheekpiece and some drop at the comb. You'd need to have a new low bolt handle welded on, barrel cut and crowned, new iron sights added and receiver drilled and tapped for a scope if desired. Then a low scope safety. Some of the guys on the Swede forum might help you find some older style iron sights.

Good luck,

Bob

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the honest feedback, Bob. I've gone over and under all that in my mind and the conclusion is to make a sporter exactly like the first rifle I ever bought and then to carry it for however many generations will keep it. It is my prayer that this will be the only kind of weapon they will ever carry. ...And the bolt don't match.:D

Dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll proceed with the job, which mainly consists of having the holes drilled for the receiver sight (no scope) and front ramp. the front sight screw that's on it is drilled far enough off-center that there is a gap on one side of the ramp. I'm really glad he stopped after screwing up a concealable goof and before committing a grievous blunder

I've gotten some really nice stocks from Richards in the past, so I'll probably order one from them if they ever pick up their phone.:rolleyes: I want a Mannlicher-type stock and, with the receiver sight, probably a low comb. By the way, the barrel is 19 1/2" long, as measured from the muzzle to the bolt face.

Let me try and upload a few pictures I was just able to take:

http://forums.gunboards.com/<a href..._01621.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket"></a>
">As you can see, there is absolutely no rust. The bore is a little frosty-looking but the rifling is very deep and crisp.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.