Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I poked around on Ted's site and did not see this mark shown (perhaps I missed it). Not sure if it is anything diagnostic per se, but thought I would ask. Any thoughts are appreciated.

The mark is on a 1928 all matching updated Tula dragoon. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Looks like MP with box slash overstamp to me and 6 over 20.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya that is what it looks like to me too, but was wondering what it all might mean. I am familar with the box-slash, but not the MP and 6/20. I dont recall seeing it before.........

·
Gold Bullet member
519 Posts
The "6-20" is like several similar marks found on imports from 3 or 4 years ago. I have "D-60" (2 of them), "P-60" and "6-20", and just plain "20". These might be some kind of unit designation.

The "MP" I think is a seperate set of markings. In that location and in about the same size font there are guns with "P", "M", and "PM". (also "Pm") This is the first "MP" I have seen. Haven't heard an explanation of what the PM might be. This could be a Latin PM or a Cyrillic RM.

The box with the X is a standard rebuild mark.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree with Ron W except on one point. I don't think it's a "6" over the 20. It
looks more like a cyrillic "b" to me. The corners are too sharp and square. The numeral "6" was always more rounded.

Unfortunately I can't add anything to the meanings for these marks. We may never know what all the various markings found on Mosin's mean. But, we can continue to document them and perhaps one day, we will be able to find the meanings for them.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the thoughts.........I think you are right - it does look more like a cyrillic b than a 6. Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Just a guess, but if I were the guy stamping that "box/slash" after it had been refurbed at my arsenal, I might be inclined to stamp it over a mark that indicated a previous refurb.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
The 'P' is about the right location for the 'PM', but it's a different type of font than all of the ones I've seen (especially for a pre '36 rifle) and it's always accompanied by the 'M' or 'm'.

Poot

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I think the guy stamping the rifle had one to many shots of Vodka.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Maybe he had the PM stamp backwards :)

·
Copper Bullet member
951 Posts
Dylexic.

·
Moderator/Gold Bullet member
8,789 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts