Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a bandoleer of .303 on chargers the other day. Cases are marked: "GB 49" (and lower) "7". Out of ignorance, I am presuming postwar British (C/BE), with a Mk VII loading. Your thoughts ?

·
Registered
7,386 Posts
Got a bandoleer of .303 on chargers the other day. Cases are marked: "GB 49" (and lower) "7". Out of ignorance, I am presuming postwar British (C/BE), with a Mk VII loading. Your thoughts ?
Thinking like you: 1949 UK mfg Mk VII cordite ball.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Greenwood Batley, UK? Mk7 175 ish normal bullet. Berdan .254 Corrosive. Full bandoleer gonna get scarcer the more we shoot up. Bertie was king then. No new stuff from Elisabeth. Reliability? Who knows where it came from. Tracing UK ammo is like figuring out what bar R. Burton, M.Caine, Oliver Reed and Keith Moon have been to. Sun never sets on the British Empire but Christoper Lee gets out at times. And then there's the Daleks. RIP Diana Rigg, she stirred my mind anti-clockwise.

·
Copper Bullet member
8,949 Posts
Yes, Greenwood & Batley Ltd.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greenwood Batley, UK? Mk7 175 ish normal bullet. Berdan .254 Corrosive. Full bandoleer gonna get scarcer the more we shoot up. Bertie was king then. No new stuff from Elisabeth. Reliability? Who knows where it came from. Tracing UK ammo is like figuring out what bar R. Burton, M.Caine, Oliver Reed and Keith Moon have been to. Sun never sets on the British Empire but Christoper Lee gets out at times. And then there's the Daleks. RIP Diana Rigg, she stirred my mind anti-clockwise.
Pretty damned amusing, this. Thanks to you and thanks to the other two guys for verification - it's so unusual to be right !

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
A long time ago I was given 700 rds of WWII 303 British. Must have had a very poor storage life. Green crud on just about every case. I decided to pull and save the bullets. Many case necks cracked as a result of that process. I was using an inertia bullet puller. Pull the bullet, remove jute wad,tease out the cordite strands with a pair of tweezers. And repeat. Took about a week. Popprd all the primers,saved the cordite. Brass went into the junk barrel. Saved the best 20 I could find. Wanted to chronograph the velocity. Split cases caused a velocity drop, so only ten out of the twenty gave me useful data. Average MV was 2440FPS. Even those remaining cartridges still would give me at least a split neck. Then at the end clean off the asphalt off the bullets. Somewhere around here I have a box of WWII 303 bullets. Frank

1 - 6 of 6 Posts