Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mosin Nagant that I believe was a German/Austrian capture of WW1 that was later transferred to the Finnish. There are marks that I cannot identify and believe to be either German or Austrian marks. I was wondering if any Mauser enthusiasts have seen these marks before. Any help is appreciated.

The marks are " VII 53 " and " 3 K " (see photos)

IMG_4462.jpg IMG_4463.jpg

·
Gold Bullet member
2,065 Posts
I have a Mosin Nagant that I believe was a German/Austrian capture of WW1 that was later transferred to the Finnish. There are marks that I cannot identify and believe to be either German or Austrian marks. I was wondering if any Mauser enthusiasts have seen these marks before. Any help is appreciated.

The marks are " VII 53 " and " 3 K " (see photos)

View attachment 601655 View attachment 601656
They're German WWI markings. I've got one from the same unit but a different company. I was told it signified a Landwehr infantry unit that served on the eastern front.

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
2,065 Posts
What would the "219" signify?

On mine it is an "86"
That would be the "Waffe Nummer"(Weapon Number) the weapon's numerical place in the unit's inventory.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks.....mystery solved....
Do you think the stamped serial number was done by the germans? It is the same serial number on the barrel, which by the way, is a VKT, B, D, Liege proofmarked barrel. I'm guessing the Fins added the serial #21986

·
Gold Bullet member
2,065 Posts
Hi ttenoyab,
Thanks for providing the type of unit namely a Landsturm Battalion not Landwehr. However it's VII 58 (not 53) so it's the 58th Landsturm-Infanterie Bataillon "Minden" , which seems to have served as occupation troops in Belgium. Some of these 58 Landsturm rifles are also marked as having passed through Armeedepot Mainz which isn't that far from the Belgian border.

Len

·
Registered
424 Posts
You're right Len, sorry for that.
Age and a bad memory that only last half a page are responsible.
VII/58 Minden and X/10 Hameln were stationed in Brussels for a long time during WW1. The first had Russian 91 rifles, the latter Belgian 89's. These units, Etappentruppen or garrison troops, had no real combat activities; they were garding buildings and bridges.

·
Super Moderator
11,131 Posts
Great find! Love the Landsturm Roman numeral markings. Your markings would match their collar insignia.

German Landsturm w M71 & ersatz bayonet.jpg

Way too cool! Thank you for sharing the photos with us.

JPS

1 - 13 of 13 Posts