Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help identifying the info on this tag I have for my K31. Other then the name I think the 8 8 39 prot was his unit but can find much info about it also the bottom number is the serial number on the rifle but what about the K. Nr? Are the numbers on top his birthdate or possibly something else? I take it Tauffelen was his hometown. Thanks for the help.

·
Gold Bullet member
11,642 Posts
Just a guess, but I suspect 8.8.39 was his birth date, and I wonder if "Prot" refers to "Protestant".

"K Nr" would likely be "Karabiner Number", meaning his rifle serial number. Remember, the K31 is a karabiner! :)

I'll send this link to my friend, Jumper01. He is in Switzerland and can possibly track down your K31's previous owner.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,561 Posts
Just a guess, but I suspect 8.8.39 was his birth date, and I wonder if "Prot" refers to "Protestant".

"K Nr" would likely be "Karabiner Number", meaning his rifle serial number. Remember, the K31 is a karabiner! :)

I'll send this link to my friend, Jumper01. He is in Switzerland and can possibly track down your K31's previous owner.
That all looks good to me.

tac
www.swissrifles.com

·
Registered
17 Posts

8.8.39 is his birthdate and Täuffelen his home town at that time.
402.39.339 is his old "AHV-registration-numer" ( structure has changed about 10 years ago) similar to the US social registration.

402: Name Gm - Go = Gnägi
39 : Year of brith
339: he is a male and born on August 8th
You can find it on Google under " Alte AHV Nummer Aufbau"

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the info. One last question. When the rifles were taken out of service did they sell them on the civilian market or did they get passed down through family. Mine is dated 1941 so imagine it was originally issued to the military especially at that time period in history. Just a little dissapointed in the tag not being military. looked this guy up in the phone directory with no luck. just want to get a little background on it if possible.

·
Silver Bullet member
5,561 Posts
Many former users had seen enough of their issued gun, so those went back to the zeughaus, like my K31. Others took up the offer of buying them for pennies, getting them stamped with a 'P', and continued to shoot them in shooting sports. My K11 was 'arsenaled' in 1936 and then at some time, 'P' stamped. No tag though.

My K31 had no tag, but it does have a 'new' EP'd bolt shroud. Obviously its former owner had seen enough of it.

Remember that 'your' guy would be almost ninety years old, if indeed he is still with us.

tac

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Nobody had to buy these, when wanted they were handed over for free as a thank you for serving the militia. These days one has to pay for the Stgw90 because it needs to be changed to semi-auto only.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.