Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all I am new to the forum I recently started collecting antique arms and my particular area of interest is German and Austrian pieces. I got this m1873/77 Werndl rifle the other day and am having a hard time figuring this one out. The overall length is 46 inches and the barrel does not appear to have been cut down, also the cleaning rod is the same length and doesn't appear to have been cut. The front sight is missing but the flat where it would have been is in the correct spot relative to the end of the barrel. I'm not sure what it is since I understand the full size rifle was about 50 inches long, and the carbine being about 39-40" overall. Any ideas from someone who's not a newbie to all of this like me? Also, if anyone has anymore info on the 56 LW 686 unit marking, I assume 56th Landwehr, anyone know any details of where this regiment was from and where the rifle might have been?

Thanks in advance guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
Looks like nice piece, the proof speaks for acceptance of 1876, unit is 56.Landwehr Battalion, weapon nr.686.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, I'm happy to have it. Does anyone know why the overall length is less than the rifle but more than the carbine? I can't find any references that help identify it. Is there a step in between the 2 that is lesser known? The suspense is killing me now I really want to know what it is or if I got ripped off and bought one that has been altered.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Possibly it’s an Extracorps carbine. There was also the Finance and Cavalry carbines. I like the Werndls but don’t know much about them. Yours is certainly a nice looking specimen. I suggest that you contact Balazs Nemeth at Capandball, a YouTube video creator who specializes in 19th Century Austo-Hungarian firearms. I expect that if you sent him some good pictures and your gun’s dimensions he could help you. He has videos on the Werndl and how to make ammunition for it. If you are at all interested in black powder guns you’ll love his videos. His website’s email is [email protected]. Good luck and be sure to report back whatever you learn.

Skirmisher

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Possibly it’s an Extracorps carbine. There was also the Finance and Cavalry carbines. I like the Werndls but don’t know much about them. Yours is certainly a nice looking specimen. I suggest that you contact Balazs Nemeth at Capandball, a YouTube video creator who specializes in 19th Century Austo-Hungarian firearms. I expect that if you sent him some good pictures and your gun’s dimensions he could help you. He has videos on the Werndl and how to make ammunition for it. If you are at all interested in black powder guns you’ll love his videos. His website’s email is [email protected]. Good luck and be sure to report back whatever you learn.

Skirmisher
Thanks for the tip! I actually am a fan of him but didn't think to reach out to him. I just sent him an email, hopefully I will hear back from him. I will definitely let you know the response and if any progress is made in identifying it.

·
Registered
7,193 Posts
for comparison, my Werndl is 43 1/2" overall, and the front sight was missing as well as the bayonet lug and 2" of the butt. Consensus was it was shortened to put over a fireplace, though the thought occurs that it might be given to porters on safari for self-defense. Anyway:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts