Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted on the ammo forum as well but thought if it is what I'm told it is, this board might tell me more about it. I'm told this is Syrian 7.5x54 for a French MAS 36. I certainly can't read the Farci, Syrian, Arabic...whatever the language is and I was hoping someone here could educate me with a possible translation and confirmation of what this is???

The cartridge seems to be identical to a Privi Partisan 7.5x54. Thanks

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
That sure looks like the UAR stuff. I got a great deal on 3,000 of those duds, about 15 years ago. Just waiting for them to become collectable, so I won't feel like I'm ripping someone off when I turn them. Be right careful if you shoot any of this. They hangfire, they short, but fortunately, as I said before, many are duds.

Found the nasty stuff. The card stock is smooth - white gone to yellow - dated 1957 and marked 2.6 Grams of powder. The hand written stat-label has the same first two lines, but the ?manufacturer?, in the third line. is PFB, with the forth line the same, save for the 1957 date. Wish I hadn't sealed it in such nice ammo cans. I think mine might be Egyptian, from the Maadi complex, judging from the banner blockstamp on the obverse. Fifty years gone and still same-same!

·
Administrator
19,289 Posts
THats exactly what it is. 7.5 French for the MAS rifles used in Syria. I have quite a bit and mine shoots great-dirty but accurate and all fire fine.

·
1,151 Posts
Hello and new to your board! Its nice to see a board with healthy French and Italian posts:) I too have some of this ammo and it is consistently firing as in 1 out of 4 is a dud or SLOW cooker:( so be careful with it. I have used it in my 36's 36/51, 44 and 49 all with the same results.

·
1,151 Posts
vonmazur

Thanks for the greeting. I was an ezboard person but have given up with them. I am limiting it to yours and one other. I have been visiting yours for some time and now I have joined:).

Mybusa

·
Copper Bullet member
395 Posts
I shot 4 boxes of this stuff out of my MAS 36-51 this weekend with no hangfires or duds at all. Accuracy was only so-so though.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
So far, a split decision -

As you can see above, Vic says its sure and accurate, but dirty. Marzon agrees that it is sure fire, but not accurate - consistent?

Mybusa and I have had negative experiences, with shorts ("slow burns") and a fairly high percentage of duds.

The ammo I have is not uniform, to the extent that groups were significantly larger than the proven potential of the several rifles used. Excessive powder residue was also noted, and with this qualifier, I would agree with Vic, that it is "dirty". However, with the dud rate being what it was, the true hang fire - several seconds, or at least enough elapsed time for me to have loosened my weld and been into the count - was a reminder of how hard the 36 can come back, when it is not snug to the shoulder. Again, the ammo I am referencing is in smooth, whitish card packets, and has an arabesque panel that I believe is associated with MISR/MAADI, Egypt.

I should think that you will find the premium for French military surplus is well spent. The last lot that I purchased was still less expensive than hand loads, and at least as accurate. It will showcase the potential of French rifles, in this calibre.

At this point, the only thing I think we know for certain is, do not buy ammo from me ! Best of luck.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WHAT A PILE OF CRAP!!

I JUST LOVE MY LITTLE MAS 36 and can't wait to get the parts to attempt to put it back to as close to original as I can.

But this Syrian surplus ammo I picked up is total crap. Duds everywhere and hang fires! Today I finally got to the range and played. This was my day...Ready, Aim, Fire (pull the trigger, click...wait...nothing...wait...count to 60, eject...dud bin), Ready, Aim, Fire (pull the trigger, click...wait...BANG!, eject), Ready, Aim, Fire (pull the trigger, click...wait...nothing...wait...count to 60, eject...dud bin) and repeat time and time again!!!

80% DUDS and every round that fired was a hang fire...even if for a split second...but still a hang fire. No dependability here at all, just as many of you said. Well so much for the chance for some economical shooting...there's $50 out the window!!

Anyone hand load and want to buy some cartridges they can pull the bullet and try to make them work?!?! 8~) I got about 9 boxes of 15 rounds each!! I wish I just pikcked it up at retail and I'd have that much more to enjoy! I am saving my Privi Partisan shell casings in case I ever decide to learn to reload or find someone to do so for me "economically", there's that word again!

·
Registered
942 Posts
I think I can help with the picture of the left: First line: Shell: N (date)
Second line line: Trigger (primer): N-17- (date) 0.0375 grams
thridh lien: powder: (type) (date) (charge weight)
last line Powder: DORNER

sorrycan't be of more assistance.

Sent copy of label to The Syrian Embassy, 2215 Wyoming Avenue NW, Washington, D.C. That is how I got the translation of my label. My label doesn't exactly match yours.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had the same experience as most others, high percentage of duds and some long hangfires, several seconds. I pulled some down and checked it out. If you fire just a primered cartridge, no powder, you will find that the primer just goes phffft, no bang! When I took apart duds that had failed, I found that the primer had actually melted the powder into large clumps, but did not get it hot enough to ignite. I suspect poor storage conditions with both primer and powder damage. Dennis

·
Banned
737 Posts
It looks like there could be trouble here if you aren't fluent in Syrian. I have a wad of this ammo with nearly exactly the same box markings, and exactly the same packaging. It shoots great out of my FAL.....because its 7,62x51, not 7,5x54! My heart skipped a beat when I opened this post---I thought I'd been shooting wrong ammo in some of my 308 caliber rifles! (Not possible after considering the matter, 54 case length won't fit a 51 length chamber in an autoloader) When comparing my lot to the OP's images, there is some slight difference to the script, which I assume denotes seperate calibers? Still in all, it looks to be quite easy to confuse the 2!

Some pics for comparison. The first images shows left to right:

Syrian 7,62x51
Chinese 7,62x51
South African 7,62x51
Swiss 7,5x55

Note the box size is dimensionally the same as SA R1M1 ball.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.