Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found that the two 0 0 before the serial number means it left army service. Think the was a school rifle will take another pic under the dust cover soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
The stamps to the right of the arsenal logo are final inspection stamps. Usually there are only two. Whey there are multiple applications is hard to understand. Even if it was rebuilt it is hard to understand that the same stamp would be used.

Paint on the dust cover is simply an incomplete number.

Frank

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The stamps to the right of the arsenal logo are final inspection stamps. Usually there are only two. Whey there are multiple applications is hard to understand. Even if it was rebuilt it is hard to understand that the same stamp would be used.

Paint on the dust cover is simply an incomplete number.

Frank
Thanks for the information are the inspection stamps covering the series number I can't determine the Arsenal or series the serial number is 36800. The number on the dust cover is just worn off but it matches the stock number.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So it's definitely a school rifle now that I looked at it in natural light. Any information at all would be appreciated. Battle damaged bayonet was added by me.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Anyone read the 4 characters next to the factory symbol?

OP, when you get a chance, use the Macro function of your camera to take a picture of that area. Set the shutter speed at 1/400 to make sure no shaking. What's that bolt action hunting rifle?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone read the 4 characters next to the factory symbol?

OP, when you get a chance, use the Macro function of your camera to take a picture of that area. Set the shutter speed at 1/400 to make sure no shaking. What's that bolt action hunting rifle?
I don't think I can beat this photo here and don't think my phone has a macro option will have to look into it later. The hunting rifle is a Sears model 53a 30-06 a economy model 70 made by Winchester for Sears.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I don't think I can beat this photo here and don't think my phone has a macro option will have to look into it later.
I think those are the inspector's stamp. Can't read them. Maybe the Type 38 rifles experts would like to chime in to give us an answer?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Why would a rifle have the serial number scrubbed and stamped with a new one instead of the old one? It looks like this one may have been scrubbed and stamped with the 0 0 and a new serial number in preparation of being sent to the school.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts