Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The following marking CKBN.4:154. appears on the crossguard of an early production 1884/98 sawback without an applied flashguard. Blade is dated 1915, and mfg. by ERFURT. I'm told that it is a Reichwehr marking. Any help in its translation would be much appreciated.
Scabbard Dagger Sword Sabre Blade

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Could be not Reichswehr as not sawbacks were added to Weimar era, no slash there, i personally dont known is a german unit,could be 2 different markings? note the higher N and crisp stamped with 4.154 and the shallow CKB of lower size, ricasso looks like blued? or refinished? BN could be for Batalion Nr.4. Teoretically one of the war units, that changed designation quickly?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Odd! There is no 'N' in th 1909 regulations... No 'C' either, except in 'G.d.C', which is 'Garde du Corps'.

If the 'C' is a 'G', then we have 'G.K.B.' as a posibility, which would suit 'Commando eine Kavallerie Brigade', but they would not have a company then weapon number. 'G.K.' would be 'Garde Kurrasier'. If the 'N' was a 'D', which it clearly isn't, then that would be 'Garde Kurrasier Division'...

These things were initially issued to cavalry and machinegun units only, so my money is on a cavalry unit marking of some kind - and yes, cavalry did have sawbacks!

Certainly not Weimar as Andy has pointed out.

Julian

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I initially bought this bayonet thinking the marking was JKBN, but once in my possession found the first letter to be a "C" under magnification. I'm 95%+ sure that the first letter is a "C". So the marking presents itself to be one of those bastard markings that did not conform to regulations during wartime and its interpretation is uncertain. I like the thought of it being associated with a cavalry unit, perhaps time will tell. The mark after the 4 is interesting as it appears to be a : (colon) and not simply a period. Once again, kudos to the participating members for their input ! ! !

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.