Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this two weeks ago. It was sold as a M91/30, but it was made by Izhevsk in 1924, which makes it too early to be a M91/30 if I understand correctly. It has the M91/30 rear sight and a round front site. Can anyone help?

It has all matching numbers (bolt, receiver, magazine assembly, butt plate). I shot it last week and it was pretty accurate. After 3 days of getting the bore really clean, I can't wait to shoot it again! Now I have to start looking for a Carbine!

·
Moderator & Gaseous Substance Inspector
1,121 Posts
It is a typical ex-dragoon, that has been updated according to m/91-30 specs

·
Copper Bullet member
296 Posts
Lemmy nailed it.
I have a 1927 that is exactly the same, it confused me for a bit as well. The sight kept throwing me off as to what it actually was.
Mine just has a small indent left on the hex part of the receiver, looks like you have the full mark.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Welcome to the forum!! :D :D

Looks lie a very nice rifle. :) Congrats! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'm excited to shoot it again. I've been stocking up on ammo (Bulgarian Heavy Ball) and getting ready. It's cool to have such an old firearm complete with bayonet, tools, and ammo pouch!

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Very nice M91/30 ex-Dragoon you've got. I have one too: 1927 Izhevsk barrel on a 1905 receiver. The rifle has both Czarist and Commie markings on it. Mine is not too accurate yet, but I'll try to change that.

From here your 91/30 looks like it doesn't have a cleaning rod? Be sure to try the M1908 149gr. ammo in the rifle too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From here your 91/30 looks like it doesn't have a cleaning rod? Be sure to try the M1908 149gr. ammo in the rifle too.
It did come with the cleaning rod. I just finished cleaning it and wanted to grab a couple of pictures. It came with everything (jag, barrel cap, handle, teardrop tool, sling, cleaning rod, bayonet). It came from rguns.

I've been buying the heavyball becuase a local place has it pretty cheap. It's $3.00 pack of 10.

Meant to ask in my earlier post, is it counterbored?
Nope. The end of the barrell has the finish worn off, but the barrell is not counterbored at all.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Great vintovka, let us know how it shoots!

Good deal. The wear near the muzzle is probably from the bayonet, I'd think. Be sure to tighten those screws when you take it to the range! Does the bayonet fit on yours? I've got one that does not, and another that fits either 91/30. Go figure. I may try my ex-Dragoon at the range with bayonet fixed, and see what that does for the current groups--way over to the right--before I mess with the front sight.

I hesitate to add anything, cause I'm sure you'd know already, but clean after that Bulgarian ammo with hot water and/or Hoppe's #9 before cleaning it normally. Enjoy your rifle!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please feel free to add anything! I figure I can always learn something.

Mine shot right before I adjusted the sight. I shoot without the bayonet, so I wasn't too worried about changing it.

I cleaned it immediately after with amonia window cleaner and then did it properly with #9 and then Shooter's Choice when I got home. I've been working on the barrell for 3 days to get all the old copper fouling out. I think it had 85 years worth in it!

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
[/QUOTE] I cleaned it immediately after with amonia window cleaner and then did it properly with #9 and then Shooter's Choice when I got home. I've been working on the barrell for 3 days to get all the old copper fouling out. I think it had 85 years worth in it![/QUOTE]

Yup: that is what I do with all mine. I'm going on day three myself with a Tula '36 91/30 I picked up Sunday. lol. There's a funny letter on the stock that may indicate it was for training. If so, this thing was never ever cleaned. (Maybe they used a clean rifle for that!) Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts