Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my BYF 41 to range today. Put 20 rounds thru it at a 100 yard target. Didn't score a single hit!!! I am a good shot, and proved it to myself by immediately putting 10 of 10 on target with mosin m44. The bore is VERY dark. I can see rifling and it does appear to shine a little. In between the rifling it is gunked up bad. The missed shots weren't just a few inches, they were multiple feet. I think one round fell 10 feet short. Is this the bore or just a terrible rifle.

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
Yup, bore is garbage... Well cared for k98ks are very accurate rifles by nature and with a great shooter, there's no way you would not be able to put at least 1 out of 20 rounds on target at 100 yards. What is the rifle? All matching, RC?

A rebarrel might be in order depending on what the rifle is or just chalk it up as a wall hanger...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Hi bcsatch,
Try reducing your range to about 25 yds, and see what happens and where the bullets are going. Use a large target like a newspaper page. Once you see what's happening, then go from there. The trigger guard screws could be loose, the crown could need freshened up, the bedding could be wrong, the sight blade could be too short or too high. At this point, you dont know where the bullets are going. I'd get into it a little more, before giving up on it.
I had this happen with an Italian Carcano. My problem was I was aligning the sights and using a 6 o"clock hold. The Carcano is designed to only place thevery top of the front sight in the rear sight notch, completely different than any rifle I've had. What was happening was I was shooting around 3ft high at 100 yds. Using a large target at 25 yds showed exactly what was happening.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Started with Remington 8mm ammo. That is what I was missing with. Bought some surplus to try. How much am I looking at for a re-barrel? Want to keep and shoot it, should I just shoot the crap out of it and maybe it will return to its old self? The gun came with "black gunk" on it and I was able to clean it off the exterior. Seems the same stuff is in bore.

·
Copper Bullet member
543 Posts
Your first step needs to be a THOROUGH cleaning of all internals, especially the bore. Then try noro's plan. You shouldn't talk rebarrel until you know the true extent of the problem. Best of luck.

·
Banned
3,137 Posts
Your first step needs to be a THOROUGH cleaning of all internals, especially the bore. Then try noro's plan. You shouldn't talk rebarrel until you know the true extent of the problem. Best of luck.
I agree with PK. You say the between the rifling is "gunked up bad"....you dont say pitted. While at the range, fire 20-30 rounds rapidly to get the bbl hot, then right at the range get your cleaning rod with the brass brush tip and scrub the hell out of the bore. if this doesnt work, do a search on how to do "electrolysis" on the bore.

·
Registered
211 Posts
hi bcsatch,

The 20 rds should have blown out a lot of the debris that was in the bore. A real easy test is to set a loaded cartridge, tip first into the muzzle.
if the tip falls into the muzzle, your bore is really worn out, or crown is bad. If the tip goes in, and some of the bullet remains outside, you should have
enough left to be able to group your shots. If your rifle passes the "bullet test" check out the workbench forum. There is a whole tutorial on things to
check to improve accuracy in the 98K (the first sticky) You dont mention if this rifle is a Russian Captured rifle. If so, the parts might not be fitted correctly,
and this might be the cause of your problem.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks all by the way. Noro it has RC and yugo capture characteristics not sure if it may even be a sporter rescue. The crown appears ok and i assume the throat is ok also. I really don't see anything bent, cracked, broken or strange. I go back on the crud and how long it took me to clean it off the exterior(still cleaning it off after a month). Did the bullet in muzzle check and it swallowed the bullet. Don't trust the test though because I have a mosin m44 that eats a whole bullet and partial casing and it is ridiculously accurate (fist size groups at 100yds). Added photos of my rifle.

http://s1149.photobucket.com/albums/o583/bcsatch/

·
Copper Bullet Member
1,736 Posts
If I can find an unfired 8mm bullet I will try it. I assume I have a wall hanger if this happens?
Yup or your only other option is a rebarrel

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If I can find an unfired 8mm bullet I will try it. I assume I have a wall hanger if this happens?
if you reload...

Can't you upgrade to a .32 bullet -- .321 or whatever diameter is next up, see if that can go down the tube safely and reload with it instead? 8mm standard is .318, right, so this should be possible ???

Someone here should know if there is a problem with doing that. As with the standard 8mm round, drop one down the barrel before you try to shoot one through it!!!!

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Is your M44 counterbored? If it is thats why its eating the whole bullet. Could it be that your mauser is a candidate for counterboring? I don't know. Probably not out of the question if all that is left to do is rebarrel or hang it on the wall. Maybe someone here could shed some light on the subject. But,, it would have to be done by someone/gunsmith who knew what they were doing.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steamer, not sure about my m44, its an ishevsk 1944 and its damn lethal! Is counterboring expensive for a mauser and will it ruin or alter the exterior of the weapon? Don't want to lose my authentic markings and what history I have left in the gun. Going to try some yugo surp ammo instead of newer stuff, heard modern stuff can be too small. May be the issue with inaccuracy.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
If your M44 swallows the bullet to the case shoulder it is counterbored. They just drill the barrel out for about an inch or so to get to good rifling. not hard to do at all unless you are pretty much mechanically handicapped.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
Steamer, not sure about my m44, its an ishevsk 1944 and its damn lethal! Is counterboring expensive for a mauser and will it ruin or alter the exterior of the weapon? Don't want to lose my authentic markings and what history I have left in the gun. Going to try some yugo surp ammo instead of newer stuff, heard modern stuff can be too small. May be the issue with inaccuracy.
Counterboring doesn't effect the external appearance of the rifle at all. I have a RC 98k with a 1 to 1 1/2 inch counterbore, and it there is absolutely no evidence of it unless you look down the barrel. I estimate the counterbore on my rifle is around .345-.35" (it won't take a 9mm bullet).

In fact, I have gotten to like the counterbore on that rifle, because I can clean this rifle from the muzzle. I can get the patch in and the muzzle guide located before I have to force the patch into the bore proper.

There is also some evidence that having a relieved area like a counterbore helps control the gas escaping from the muzzle around the base of the bullet and helps stabilize the bullet. If flash suppressors have been shown to increase accuracy, a counterbore should be able to do it, too.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts
go get some "seafoam" from wallyworld or an auto parts store. it will take the carbon out but you may have a case where you want to let it soak for a while.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
if you reload...

Can't you upgrade to a .32 bullet -- .321 or whatever diameter is next up, see if that can go down the tube safely and reload with it instead? 8mm standard is .318, right, so this should be possible ???

Someone here should know if there is a problem with doing that. As with the standard 8mm round, drop one down the barrel before you try to shoot one through it!!!!
The 8 mm K98ks shoot is a 32 diameter bullet. .323 to be exact.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.