Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found what might be a great deal but need some help finding out about an old gunmaker. Possibly from Wisconsin as the barrel on this percussion target rifle is stamped " B.N. Lawrence WIS " just behind the rear sight.
The only other barrel engraving is "30 cal", I didn't see a Serial# on the visible steel. The gun is VERY old & well used as the German Silver inlays at the wrist have all detail worn off, but in surprisingly good shape overall. This is a VERY heavy Bull barrel 30 caliber half stock rifle with an underrib and a steel loading rod in the pipes. (possibly a replacement but it's likely original)
The wood is shaped like a Great Plains rifle w/ Pewter nose cap and German Silver furniture incl Inlays at wrist & sides of buttstock, a patchbox, and single trigger. The wood is very dark like cherry but could be walnut. It has what looks like a musket nipple on a drum installed into the barrel but it's very worn from corrosion. Oddly I cannot recall the sights...
I am trying to determine if B.N. Lawrence is known & if so what Era would the rifle be from...?
I am trying to determine a value for this firearm to make an offer and anything I can find out will help.
Thanks, "DOC" Vernon, TX

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To Woodsrunner

I did as you suggested and with a couple of no hits we did find out the following;
He is listed in the 1880 census as a gunsmith in River Falls, Pierce County, Wisconsin. His name was Benjamin Lawrence. He was 53 years old, born in Vermont. His wife Susan was 49, born in New York. He had three children, Frank, age 14; Emma, age 11; and William, age 9. All three were born in Wisconsin, indicating that he was there at least as early as 1866.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.