Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thoughts?

Im at a crossroad here...Wants $500 CAD (pretty good price for a clean bore/ RC) ($380 USD)
(nazi markings intact to boot!)

http://imgur.com/a/GkNec

but am I doomed to have to buy another stock or what is with this bolt?

The seller says there are no cracks in the stock. Just a mystery bolt through the handle...

Also, the bolt and receiver have electro pencil matching numbers. Does that mean the russians matched the two? or not guaranteed?

thank you!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
No need to replace the stock if you are keeping it as a RC shooter. Sometimes if a stock showed evidence of delamination the Russians would add this bolt as allis49wd said, to repair or prevent a crack. It's an ugly look to the stock but historically correct as a RC rebuild process.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice, at least it wasnt a #8 robertson...hah

I think this may be a decent buy then for the price.

Should i be concerned that the bolt doesnt match the receiver, or well we cant seem to find any original german markings to prove that.
They are matching electro penciled, but i guess that means squat.

he shot 40 rounds through it without any ejection or feed issues. But i guess that doesnt prove it safe...

i have head space gauges I can test but would rather have a working rifle or matched bolt.

·
Registered
356 Posts
You are never going to find a matched bolt at that price. If you have the gauges, check it. If within spec, this is good price for an RC shooter, IMHO

Nice, at least it wasnt a #8 robertson...hah

I think this may be a decent buy then for the price.

Should i be concerned that the bolt doesnt match the receiver, or well we cant seem to find any original german markings to prove that.
They are matching electro penciled, but i guess that means squat.

he shot 40 rounds through it without any ejection or feed issues. But i guess that doesnt prove it safe...

i have head space gauges I can test but would rather have a working rifle or matched bolt.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are never going to find a matched bolt at that price. If you have the gauges, check it. If within spec, this is good price for an RC shooter, IMHO

no way to check it, it is out of province.
buying from our local forum, good "sellers" feedback on the seller.
he shot 40 rounds, accurately and no feeding/ejecting issues.

price though....i like the condition overall and that it has nazi markings...

Just say "buy it" and i will go buy it...hah

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Not saying I know the Germans also added the wrist bolt but I've owned at least 6 Yugo "capture" k98k that had the bolt added, so question is did the Yugo or the German add them?
FWIW, the added bolts were exactly like those found on R/C rifles.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Yeah, RC rifles usually sell for more. And most by now have been messed with and changed around. This one looks unmessed with and cheaper than most. Also with RC rifles, no parts will match, ever. They didn't put them back together that way at all.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
It is a nice laminated stock. The laminates aren't really known for extraordinary cracking issues, but why not be safe rather than sorry. Personally, I would consider a reinforcing bolt in that position to be a big plus in a shooter rifle.

the notch in the stock on the right side of the stock at the receiver ring is interesting. I was thinking sniper stock until I realized I couldn't come up with a scope mount that would encroach on the stock in that location.

The EP very likely means that 'the Russians' (or whoever) decided to match that bolt to that receiver. I can't tell you with any certainty if that matchup process included a headspace check or not.

Better than half of my Mausers have mismatched bolts, and as long as the headspace checks out, those mismatches have not caused me a single problem at the range.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
it looks as if the recoil lug has been removed. and the lug on the grip had been taken down with a sander. dont know what the chop in the stock is for. possible stock swap for another rc. i would check for recoil lug set back. on stocks this modified its a good candidate for micro bedding the recoil lug area, as its already had bubba at it. dou are great shooters!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.