Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys,

I was given a sporterized mosin by a good friend and I wanted to figure out what kind of configuration it had before it was sporterized to see if I could restore it a little.

As far as I can tell, it's a 1944 Izhevsk Mosin carbine of some sort based on the rear tang. The barrel shank has been scrubbed or never marked. The reason it's giving me a hard time is that there seems to be a ground off bayonet pin (but only the uppert part) on the barrel that looks original and not part of the sporterizing. I found some info on that here.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareM38s.htm

However, I did not find any markings indicating it was a Czhek rifle, nor is the front sight the wide kind as described. the front sight is .599 inches from the muzzle, which also puts it more in line with what you would expect from an M44 according to that site.

There are other random markings all over, none of which I've been able to identify. The T inside the diamond seemed like it would definitely been something I would have been able to find, but I haven't.

My final issue is that the barrel was dovetailed for the rear lyman sight put on it. I'm assuming that after it was done, they realized it was too low and had to remount it higher. They then filled the dovetail with a piece that when I removed had a bunch of bright orange rust under. The problem is, this was done where the rear pin was. Am I right in thinking that I can no longer mount an original rear sight base?

There are too many pictures to upload here so if you could look through the link I included to help me I'd really appreciate it! Thanks!
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/hkp3onwplx7sr0l/zlXoY5crdx

-Nam

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
That's an great example of what you should take to a pawn shop and sell to them. It is a nice rifle but nothing a collector would want and isn't worth fixing.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
+1. Your sporter looks better than most, if that is it in the pictures -leave it alone. The Mannlicher-style bolt looks well done and it seems to have a nice stock.

These chopped Mosins still sell for $125-$150 and are widely used for hunting wild pigs and deer at moderate range or as ranch guns and "trunk guns" carried for emergency use.

Have fun, but don't waste time and money attempting to restore it. If that rear sight is what you have, leave it if it shoots straight.

(A Mosin M44 of the more common varieties in arsenal refurbed condition goes for perhaps $220-$250 or so.)

It's now a shooter....no collecting value. Go out and shoot it. Have fun with it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for letting me know about the bolt handle. I had no idea that's what it was!

This was never meant to be sold. It was given to me by a good friend, I just personally like the look of the original which was why I was considering restoring it, not for the collector value.

Is it common for the M44 to have the narrow sight base? Is there a reason to believe it wasn't converted to an M38 from the factory like the example shown below? I can't find the lower part of the pin though. It either blends in too well or it wasn't drilled all the way through.
Monocular

Also, the floor plate looks like it's marked with Korean. I'm sure it's just that way because it's been scrubbed but can anyone tell me for sure?

Let me know if I'm grasping for straws.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for letting me know about the bolt! I would have never found that!

This was never meant to be sold. It was given to me by a good friend, I just personally like the look of the original which was why I was considering restoring it, not for the collector value.

Is it common for the M44 to have the narrow sight base? Is there a reason to believe it wasn't converted to an M38 from the factory like the example shown below? I can't find the lower part of the pin though. It either blends in too well or it wasn't drilled all the way through.

Also, the floor plate looks like it's marked with Korean. I'm sure it's just that way because it's been scrubbed but can anyone tell me for sure?

Let me know if I'm grasping for straws.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.