Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the correct finish for a Type 14 Nambu ? matt or hi sheen or in between? Ihe one I saw had a matt black finish. The condition was about 95% and the guy wants 300. Your help is appreciated, Joe

·
Silver Bullet member
15,634 Posts
Value

Look at some of the pistols offered on the online gun auctions.
You can see the finish and also prices.

$300 could be a very good price for a T 14.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I picked up the Nambu today and the only markings on the "left side" are Japanese symbols (+sign with three other letters). The only marking on the "right side "is the serial no.89828. The grip slashes only go up two thirds of the way on the left grip and go up all the way on the right grip.Would this be considered a late war Nambu comparable to the late war German pistols? The gun is in excellent shape. Will try to provide pictures later.
Your help is appreciated, Joe

·
Registered
293 Posts
english:

It is possible that this is a very "late" assembled T-14 as, in most cases, the arsenal ID is stamped preceeding the serial number and there is a date stamp below the serial number on the frame. Some "late war" assembled T-14 have been recorded without the arsenal markings or manufacture date and with mismatched grips such as your's exhibits, however, the serial # seems too high for one of this type. Best supply some pictures.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Need clearer photo of the right side of the frame as we need to be able to read the serial numbers and also to see any traces of old markings. On the left side the first two charters are fire & safe. The it reads "14 type" Also, it appears the sear pin and has been put in wrong (from the outside in vice inside out). The right grip is a standard 17 groove from Nagoya Nambu ranging from 15.1 date to 19.5 date while the right grip appears to be a standard 24 groove used until 19.11 date. Is the magazine numbered to the pistol? Have you field stripped it to check to see if the numbers are matching. With out seeing the right side of the frame clearly and knowing about the internal inspection marks and numbers I am hesitant to speculate on why the remaining markings are not present. It could be a pistol that failed inspection and was never completed, last ditch put together from left over parts and was picked up at the arsenal after the war, to having been correct and someone buffed off the markings when they went to refinish it or put it together from parts. You may have gotten real lucky as well.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I added nore pictures and information The mag. doesn't match the pistol . The barrel is in excellent shape. It is also missing the mag. spring that I guess would slow the movement of the mag when it is taken out?
Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
IMHO what you have is a Type-14 that is all likely hood made up of parts taken from the arsenal by a GI making the rounds at the arsenal. Having the numbers and inspection marks of the parts would be helpful in determining if any of the parts matched. Derby and Brown in Japanese Military Cartridge Handguns 1893-1945 have a good write up on these pistols. Because it appears never to have been accepted (final inspection) be very careful of it if you intend to shoot it. Recommend you have a good gunsmith check it out prior to attempting to shoot it. The collector value appears to be only for those us who would want one/have one in our collections as an example of a "GI arsenal pickup/GI marked" Nambu. As for the price, ya did good and a great item for your collection as I don’t have this type example in my collection.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Yes this looks like one of the postwar assembled pistols, the so called "cigarette packs" pistols since they could be gotten in trade for smokes. Although this one is fully finished and looks mostly complete, unlike those pistols missing major parts. Need to make sure the locking block is in place also as sometimes those werent put in. Looka like an Ordnance or GI stamped serial, probably so it could be recorded on the capture document. Nice piece and the price sure was right.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts